How many bisquettes

Started by sailks, March 15, 2013, 12:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailks

hello
I am going to try and smoke 3 pork butts this weekend and was curious how many bisquettes should I use and where should I position the damper. Also I know it's subject to taste but what is the recommended bisquette flavor for pork

mikecorn.1

Most do 4 hours worth. That would be 12 of them. I would set the temp as high as you can go. With three butts, you're gonna have an uphill climb with a stock element getting up to temp. Just use all the tricks from this forum and you'll be ok. Wood choice is a preference. I like pecan And mesquite.
Others will be by with more input.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

tskeeter

I've not done pork butts yet, so consider my comments in that context.  I prefer a light flavored, sweeter smoke, so I use apple on pork.  Folks who seem to like a stronger smoke flavor talk about using hickory.

Also, I see from a thread yesterday that many of the experienced butt smokers refrigerate their pulled pork over night and reheat it for serving the next day.  This apparently allows the smoke flavor to develop and permeate the meat more completely.  This sounds right to me as it is similar to my experience smoking cheese.  You need to let the cheese age a month or so after smoking to let the smoky flavor develop. 

KyNola

I would open the vent 100% wide open.

mikecorn.1

Mike

beefmann

4 hours of smoke and vent 1/2 to full open

Pachanga

Several variables in that question.

What type of wood are you going to use?
Do you want to mix your wood for a more complex layered smoke?
How "smokey" do you like your pork?

I am an apple fan with a long smoke; throw in a couple of hickory and oak for a complex flavor.

Damper?  Open until there is a fast draw with no backup;  7/8 to full open.  If in doubt; full open per Kynola.

Be sure to dump the water pan (hopefully replaced with a half sheet aluminum steam table pan) halfway through the smoke or sooner even if it appears full.  A lot of fat comes off three butts.  It will fool you into thinking there is water in the pan.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

sailks

Thanks I like the sound of mixing woods with fruit sounds good.