My Smoker Won't Smoke No Mo :(

Started by Caribou, March 06, 2013, 04:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi Guys!
Last week I had the fuse blow on my OBS while smoking a batch of jerky.  I replaced the fuse today and started up another batch of jerky this afternoon and my smoker is not smoking. :(  The pucks are advancing but the plate where they burn is not working.  I did a search on the forum and found someone with a similar problem in this post:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31096.0
But I believe they are talking about a new unit not a older one that blew a fuse. 
Should I try checking the connection to the hot plate?  Or does the blown fuse point to a bigger problem?
Thanks!
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

HI Carolyn!

Kinda sounds like a wire has come loose and touch another one.

Did you take the smoke gen apart yet?

Caribou

Hi!
I haven't taken it apart but I'm planning on it.
My jerky is still smoking I mean cooking in the smoker.  ;)
but I will as soon as it's done.
Carolyn

KyNola

Carolyn, I'm with Sonny on this one. 8 screws around the perimeter of the bottom of the generator opens it up clamshell fashion.  Leave the screws in the center alone.  Check all the connections and put back together but I know you already know what I just told you.

Just wanted to help. :)

OU812

If you were chugging along for a while and blew a fuse then replaced the fuse and started back up again with out the fuse blowing,,,,,,,,sounds like the hot plate took a crap

Just my thoughts

Caribou

Thanks for the help guys :)
I did take a look inside just now and everything looks in great shape.  I do believe OU was correct about the hot plate.
But I did clean it out inside and plugged it back in just in case and the plate still didn't heat up.
I have been using the smoker since I bought in 2007 and have used it a lot, so I guess something had eventually wear out on it.

Carolyn

Defiant

Looks like Yard and Pool have a replacement for around $57. http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Replacement-Bisquette-Burner-p/burner.htm.  Some others may have some other sources for this as well.  They have free shipping over $150.  Normally when I get something from there, I buy bisquettes to get to $150, I can always use those.

Caribou

Thanks for the info :)
Luckily, a very kind forum member is sending me a spare.
I'm so grateful
Carolyn

GusRobin

Quote from: Caribou on March 07, 2013, 09:06:33 AM
Gotta love the people on this place
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

I'm so grateful
Carolyn

I heard something about this. I was checking into a S/G that I know isn't being used. Then I was told to STOP looking it was under control, the situation was handled. I'm thinking somebody is worried about not getting some Caribou Homemade goodies in return for their kindness!! :o ;D ;D Found out mine is already being used elsewhere so the donor is safe.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 07, 2013, 09:23:21 AM
I'm so grateful
Carolyn

I heard something about this. I was checking into a S/G that I know isn't being used. Then I was told to STOP looking it was under control, the situation was handled. I'm thinking somebody is worried about not getting some Caribou Homemade goodies in return for their kindness!! :o ;D ;D Found out mine is already being used elsewhere so the donor is safe.
Thanks for helping Chris,
The kindness of forum members never ceases to amaze me :) :)
Carolyn