My bread making thread

Started by anthony, March 18, 2013, 04:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthony

I was lucky enough to be accepted by Sonny to receive some sweat bread starter.  Many thanks for the white powder in the mail. 

Here is my progress so far.
Mixing powder and water. 

After a 1hour rest.

Mixed with flour and sugar

Resting for the rest of the night.

More to follow
Click to look at short video of the first hour in its new home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

classicrockgriller

Looking good Anthony!

You could let it grow in oven tonite with just the oven light on.

anthony

Glad you brought that up, I was thinking of doing that.  It is 69-70 where it is placed now.  In the oven it will go.

anthony

And I have growth.

anthony

In the jars.  I hope I will be ok with the one smaller jar, all my other large ones are in use someplace. 
Can someone advise on how much they will grow in the jars in the fridge?

standles

I let mine sit out for an hour or so with a loose lid.   I then tightened the lid and placed it in the fridge.   No further growth and it actually decreased in volume some.   I took it out today and popped the lid (there was pressure in the jar) and it bounced right back.

Hope that helped.

Steven

anthony

Thanks for the quick reply.   Those lids are on loose for now.
I know I am not the only one up early thinking of bread and checking the forum.   ;D

anthony

Click picture for more bread rising time lapse movie

classicrockgriller

The time sequence is fricken awesome.

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

anthony

I learned one thing so far, do not use the 2 cup mason jar, like i did.  I checked it yesterday after work and the dough was trying to force the lid off.  I found another large jar and transferred the dough over, just hoping this doesn't mess with  it somehow. 

I would like to do a time lapse of some meat in the smoker, but I do not think putting my SLR in the cabinet would be a smart move. 

classicrockgriller

Your two cup starter should be stored in a qt jar.

You didn't hurt anything.

OU812

Quote from: anthony on March 21, 2013, 08:31:02 AM
I learned one thing so far, do not use the 2 cup mason jar, like i did.  I checked it yesterday after work and the dough was trying to force the lid off.  I found another large jar and transferred the dough over, just hoping this doesn't mess with  it somehow. 

I would like to do a time lapse of some meat in the smoker, but I do not think putting my SLR in the cabinet would be a smart move.

Been there,,,,,,done that,,,,,,got the T shirt to prove it  ;D

When I put my one cup of starter in a 2 cup mason jar the starter popped the center out of the lid and puked down the door of my fridge  ::)

anthony

That would have happened to me if I let that one go another day.   Here is what they look like now.

anthony

Time to renew.  I did both at once in two bowls.