• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Garden Thread?

Started by RedJada, March 24, 2013, 03:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

This post is influenced by classicrockgriller's "I are a Farmer" post. I did my first garden last year, corn, several different tamer's, several peppers, green beans, peas, etc... All the money shots on here has some kind of veggie in it. So, why not have a garden tread? I'm in the beginning stages of planing out the garden for this year. What do you think?

classicrockgriller

Forum Gardens of 2013 or

Gardens of the Forum 2013 or

?????????????????????????

If you thread it, they will post!

RedJada

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 24, 2013, 03:26:43 PM
Forum Gardens of 2013 or

Gardens of the Forum 2013 or

?????????????????????????

If you thread it, they will post!

Gardens of the Forum 2013 sounds like a scarey movie. BOO! ;D

So here we go, Official Gardening/Veggie Thread.

I will be putting in a veggie garden for the second time this year. Last year was my first. I want to try some pinto beans this year. I think Ill get some garlic going and maybe some asparagus for next year. Would like to get some taters going as well. Last year at this time my mater and pepper plants were 6"-8" tall. Now, still freezing at night, and daytime as well. I think I will do a spice garden as well. Have to see what Ill put there. How about you?

TedEbear

We planted some seeds in those little starter pots about 3 weeks ago.  They're on my basement work table under some fluorescent lighting, waiting for spring to truly arrive.  Yesterday, it was 58*F which is the normal high for this date. Today the high was 33 and right now we have 12 inches of new snow that has accumulated over the past 9 hours.

As far as starter plants, we have several types of lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, onions and two kinds of carrots for our spring crop.  In the summer we will have tomatoes and a few other things. 

It all goes in our 4x8 community garden plot.  The city donates the land as well as the mulch and water.  We have to maintain our own plots. There are only 100 plots available in a community of thousands of residents.  Fortunately, we are one of the chosen 100. 

Defiant

We are doing a bunch of different heirloom and hybrid tomatoes, some Bell Peppers (Socrates X3R) and Jalapenos.  I have started all the seedlings weeks ago and they are under the fluorescent lights now.  I planted around 800 onions we got from Dixondale farms a few weeks ago.  We also plant watermelon, cantaloupe, pole beans, black eyed peas, squash, okra, and zucchini.  Looking forward to following the thread.

jjmoney

I have 52 heads of garlic in, waiting to sprout after the snow goes away. I am trying some red carrots this year as well as purple haze (which is a great carrot) and a couple other varieties in addition to the usual Chantenay. What else...probably more salsify, and then the usual suspects - kohl rabi, giant snow peas, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, radish, herbs, and lots of chilies out front after how well they grew last year.

viper125

Good idea as i is a homesteader! I have penumonia now and we got 6-8 inches snow coming tonight. But us Ohioians dont miss a stride. I have around 800 plants growing in my spare bed room. And will have over 1200 soon. I also have 24 baby peeps in their. My eggs,meat and fertilizer source. And thats the tip of the iceberg. Any other homestead or gardeners out there? I may not be able to talk. But i can type sorta!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

RedJada

Been a busy spring, and foresee a busy summer. Planing on getting some tilling done this weekend. Looking at my schedule, looks like I may have to scale back the garden a bit. Going to do corn, and try some cantaloups. That should take up my garden space. I did pour a new patio and built new planters last fall, so that is my main project right now. Haven't even had a chance to get a line wet yet....

How is everyone's else garden coming along?

BAM1

We have city plots we can rent.  They are 20 x 50 and cost $20 a year and that includes a water spicket every three plots.  We had one last year and got two this year.  That's a pretty fair size garden.  Mostly tomatoes, peppers, herbs, canalope, and squash.  May try some green beans again.  Here's a picture of last years garden and another of my herb box I made for my deck.

Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

PapaC

Great idea for a thread. Our spot is about 25x30 plus we use 5 plastic containers for spuds. Have to fence it cause deer go through the yard daily. We'll be putting seeds in the ground in 3-4 weeks, except tomatoes which we'll buy starters. From memory- carrots, lettuce (two kinds), radishes, beets, pole beans, cucumbers (pickling & reg), acorn squash, zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes, & spuds.
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

TedEbear

We planted our spring garden yesterday on a cold 45*F day.  I figured if we're going to wait for springlike weather to get here and stay for a while it'll be June before I get anything planted.

Here's a pic from last year's garden:

RedJada

Took a day off for a three day weekend with the idea to at least get the tilling. Nope, rain Wednesday, yesterday and raining now. Suppose to start drying out starting this afternoon. But I know my garden area is soaked. My planters are some what sheltered. So I'm hopping I can at least get that soil worked. If we get good sun, I may try the garden area on Sunday.

pikeman_95

I had to show some pictures of the unbelievable squash batch we had a couple of years ago.
This is the part of the patch that found my plumb trees and started to climb them. I had a 25 pound squash hanging 10 feet in a tree.

here is a closer shot

some times you have to take care of pollination yourself.

and at the end of the season some of the crop. My wife's brother thinks they look like alien egg pods.

RedJada

Good timing pikemam, we were just up at the garden spot talking to the garden lady about what to do with our new planters. When this young lady came in looking for something to transplant her squash into. Apparently she got an early start using 1 cup containers and the vines are 12"-18" long. Garden lady told her to hold the phone, if you transplant now you will have have squash coming out your ears. Funny thing, my mom did the same thing many years ago. I'm pretty sure there is still a freezer in Phx. AZ. full of squash. That girl at the store and your photos bring back good memory. Thanks.

wyrman

I planted some tomato plants last weekend that I started in the greenhouse, and I have 14 jalepeno plants and Sandia green chili plants ready for after the last frost.
I also have spinach, radishes, and lettuce coming up.
I'll be planting watermelon, cantaloupe, okra, squash, pumpkins, and a peas real soon.