bacon and smoke style?

Started by BrandNewSmoker, May 14, 2013, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandNewSmoker

hello again everyone,
     once again i am looking to draw on all of your knowledge and opinions,
I just got my pig back from the butcher and i had them just do my bellies fresh,couple of 4 t0 5 lb packs.
  I am trying the first piece now as a test i just used a salt,brownsugar,and maple syrup rub, now my question comes,hot or cold smoke? part 2 smoke flavor?i think i have maple,hickory,and apple on hand.
  oh and any other tips are appreciated
thanks
Ed
sorry
...I also used pink salt in the rub 2 teaspoons is what the recipe called for...

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Tenpoint5

Since you didn't mention that you used a cure in your rub I suggest you hot smoke at 225 degrees.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

iceman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on May 14, 2013, 09:30:20 AM
Since you didn't mention that you used a cure in your rub I suggest you hot smoke at 225 degrees.

Yup  ;)

KyNola

Quote from: iceman on May 14, 2013, 04:33:47 PM
Yup  ;)
Ditto!

beefmann

Quote from: KyNola on May 14, 2013, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: iceman on May 14, 2013, 04:33:47 PM
Yup  ;)
Ditto!
yup yup and use apple

Tenpoint5

Ok since you used cure then I would suggest following tbe same protocol that we use for sausage. 120 for an hour then 130/140 for 2 hours while applying hickory smoke then bump to 160 until it of 148-152. Pull wrap in plastic wrap and fridge overnight then slice. I go 152 Habs goes lower I think it is either 142 or 148

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

My good friend Chris and I differ on the smoking/cooking process.  I smoke and cook mine at 200 degrees the entire time, watching the IT of the bellies and remove them at 150 or so.

I don't think there is anything wrong with either process.  Just another case of "more than one way to skin a cat."

Tenpoint5

And there's more than one cat

BrandNewSmoker

ah yes,
                so many cats, so little time.
              as usual gentlemen thank you for your input.it is always greatly valued.
if i can remember how to upload some pics in a few days i will try.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.