Could Not Wait

Started by terry08, April 06, 2013, 06:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

Had a job cancel today, so got the smoker going around noon and smoked them to 160*. The Jan's smells out of this world. Having to beat Sherrie, away from them.
As everyone said, the Jan's rub gave them a little more salt flavor and this was after rinsing and soaking for two hours. Being from the south. Sherrie, said it tastes just just like the hams her grandmother used to cure in those netting things.
I must say I totally agree. Once again Jan's rub never fails.
I did leave a little of the fat on for flavor. I also have been told to head for the meat market in the morning for more pork loin.

Took them to 160 * a little to dry.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Quarlow

Nice job. Those look awesome.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

terry08

Will slice in the morning, after refrigeration. Pictures will tell the story.

KyNola

Next time you might trying taking them to 140, pull from the smoker and wrap in foil and allow to rest.  They should cruise right on up to 145 and be prefectly cooked, moist and juicy.

Thanks for the kinds words about Jan's Rub.

terry08

My thoughts exactly. Kynola, the thanks go to you for sharing such a great rub recipe. Not many people would share their secrets. We use it daily.

beefmann

looks great,,, Also inject the loins / ham  with apple juice or apple cider  and cook.. comes out fantastic

mikecorn.1

Nice color you got on'em

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

terry08

Never done Canadian Bacon. Always Buckboard or regular belly bacon. It is a lean cut and I thought
160* was way to high. Never make that mistake again. Any pork should not be cooked past 140*, and let rest to 145*. It ain't chicken.

mjdeez

Quote from: terry08 on April 07, 2013, 05:41:27 PM
Never done Canadian Bacon. Always Buckboard or regular belly bacon. It is a lean cut and I thought
160* was way to high. Never make that mistake again. Any pork should not be cooked past 140*, and let rest to 145*. It ain't chicken.

I cook my CB to about 150 or so in the Bradley, to make sure it is cooked enough.  It does get a little dry, but it makes sense, as there's no fat on it.  But since it was already cooked, all you need to do is heat it up on the stove for a minute or two, or even microwave for 30 seconds or so, and it's ready to eat.  I tried frying it like bacon to disastrous results.   Unless you're frying in bacon fat or something, it will only dry out.  I'm curious if anyone else has a way to avoid drying out Canadian bacon while cooking?

Quarlow

Just don't take it over 145f. It comes out so moist and awesome.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

drano

That looks awesome!
I was going to pick up a loin today at Hy-Vee because their ad said it was ~$1.80/lb, but it must have only been a 3 day sale because it was regular priced today. :'(
But I picked up the Morton Tender Quick so I'm ready for the next time they're on sale.