cold smoking meat question

Started by NorthShoreMN, April 11, 2013, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthShoreMN

When cold smoking cheese yesterday I put some small beef tenderloins in also.  2 hours of apple smoke.
Last night I grilled one and it was, as others have described, like licking an ash tray.  I have read posts
as far back as 2006 and some say they smoke and then cook right away, others say package and let rest or freeze for use later.

What is the recomendation for cold smoking Steaks and chops?
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

beefmann

while i have never cold smoked and cooked at a later time. i have cold smoked then cooked in the bradley and never had an issue,,, so i say if your gonna cold smoke cheese  cold  smoke cheese,,, if you are gonna smoke and cook a tenderloin smoke and cook a tenderloin or do the cold smoking  cheese and tenderloin... pull the cheese and cook the tenderloin

Wildcat

I have cold smoked then grilled steaks immediately afterward and could barely taste the smoke. I have cold smoked steaks then wrapped plastic wrap, placed in fridge overnight and grilled the next day and the results were pleasant, albeit weak. For steaks I prefer to simply use my hardwood/charcoal grill. This way I benefit from the wood and charcoal flavors which for me are more robust when done on the hot grill the day I want it. I have also hot smoked with just hard wood by indirect method (lower temp than grilling, but much hotter than the low and slow method with excellent results. This method produced a heavy smoke flavor with a deep pink ring.  I have never cold smoked meat with cheese. Perhaps that is why you experienced the ashtray taste.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

RedJada

I haven't cold cold smoked meats but have hot smoked burgers and steaks. I give them about a hour of smoke then right to the grill. Good stuff right there

Habanero Smoker

I have cold smoke NY strip steaks quiet a few times. Tender loins are very mild in flavor. Try only applying 40 - 60 minutes of smoke. Letting the heavily smoked tenderloins sit a few days in the refrigerator, or freezing them for later use, may mellow out the smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

EZ Smoker

I cold smoke petite sirloin steaks whenever Albertson's puts them on sale, and freeze them for later use.  I use one hour of smoke, then freeze in vac bags.  They have a good smoke flavor when I thaw them out and cook them. 

My wife has a recipe called Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Sauce, where she cubes those smoked sirloins and cooks 'em up in a skillet with some Montreal steak seasoning, then serves it with a sauce made from tomato sauce, vodka, horseradish sauce, Worcestershire, and sauteed onion.  The smoke flavor works great in that recipe. 

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

NorthShoreMN

Thanks to all for the help. I think I will hold off on cold smoking beef and stick to cheese and pork for now.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

NorthShoreMN

EZ Smoker,
That recipe sounds good. I think I will try it using hot smoked or grilled steaks.  Thanks

forever." Mahatma Gandhi

MoHuka

This last weekend I took 2 ribeyes and rubbed with our normal steak seasoning and gave them 1 hour of hickory, after which I put them into a vacuum marinator and into the fridge for a few hours before the grill and they were fantastic
MoSmoker

Tater

My wife's absolute favorite is New York strips cold smoked over Cherry for 1 hour, seasoned with Johnny's or Montreal seasoning then grilled immediately.