• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New names for some cuts of pork

Started by Habanero Smoker, April 16, 2013, 01:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I came across some information that some members may be interested in. This month (Apr. 2013) the USDA has approved the change of names for the cuts of pork from the loin to coincide with the names of beef from the same area.

New meat-naming system.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Tenpoint5

Guess its time to request some new pork cut charts for the wall from the pork producers
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

And I guess it's time for the USDA to find something to do that actually matters.  Do we really need to call cuts of meat on a pig the same thing that we call cuts of beef?  How long have we all understood the difference and knew what we went shopping for in either case?

More Federal Government BS.  It just won't stop.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on April 16, 2013, 06:53:02 PM
And I guess it's time for the USDA to find something to do that actually matters.  Do we really need to call cuts of meat on a pig the same thing that we call cuts of beef?  How long have we all understood the difference and knew what we went shopping for in either case?

More Federal Government BS.  It just won't stop.
No sh*t...  We're opening a BBQ business... 
We supposed to say we have "Pulled New York Lower East Side Porterhouse-ISH Saint Louis Loins?"  WTF????

We have "pulled pork" and "ribs".   And stuff like that.  Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

terry08

Saw it on the news. The pork industry thinks they will sell more pork, if it is called a ribeye, or new york strip. Going to confuse a lot of people.
The old charts have been used for years, no need to change. Everyone knows that when it comes to pork, you use everything except the rooter & pooter, and even the hair is used to make paint brushes.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Habanero Smoker

The request in name change was made by the National Pork Board, the USDA had to approve the name changes for the pork industry to use the new names on the labels. As terry08 points out, the industry believes they will sell more pork that way.

It's going to take me a while to get use to the names.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: terry08 on April 16, 2013, 08:50:46 PM
Saw it on the news. The pork industry thinks they will sell more pork, if it is called a ribeye, or new york strip. Going to confuse a lot of people.
The old charts have been used for years, no need to change. Everyone knows that when it comes to pork, you use everything except the rooter & pooter, and even the hair is used to make paint brushes.

Terry having worked in a slaughter house I can honestly say they use EVERYTHING except the squeal!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

terry08

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 17, 2013, 09:08:17 AM
Quote from: terry08 on April 16, 2013, 08:50:46 PM

Terry having worked in a slaughter house I can honestly say they use EVERYTHING except the squeal!!

I believe what you say. Lol

BAM1

Hal/Pat, I'll have one of those ribeye pork sandwiches that y'all pounded flat, over hanging the bun, and loaded with pickles that I saw a picture of the other day on one of these forums.  That looked like one goooood ribeye pork sandwich.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Sailor

So I guess if you take a wad of ground beef and flatten it out to make a "burger"  it is still called a "ham.......burger".   So with the change in names will a wad of ground pork flattened out into a burger be called a steak burger or beef burger or just Ham burger?   :o  ::)  Still be called a sausage burger in my book  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Defiant

Thanks for the info.  I predict mass confusion.

GusRobin

I think it is a plot by PETA and the Vegans to confuse us carnivores.  ::)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Wildcat

Quote from: GusRobin on April 17, 2013, 10:59:59 AM
I think it is a plot by PETA and the Vegans to confuse us carnivores.  ::)

lol - They are succeeding!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hal4uk

Quote from: BAM1 on April 17, 2013, 10:10:42 AM
Hal/Pat, I'll have one of those ribeye pork sandwiches that y'all pounded flat, over hanging the bun, and loaded with pickles that I saw a picture of the other day on one of these forums.  That looked like one goooood ribeye pork sandwich.
We'll call it a "RIBEYE" sammie just for YOU.
No--- Wait --- THE BAMEYE!!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby