I have a line on a HUGE cold smoker

Started by love the smoke, September 25, 2013, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pondee

Quote from: KyNola on September 26, 2013, 08:39:01 PM
I am going to attempt this one last time.  Cold smoking is typically done at 50-90 degrees Fahrenheit.  The colder air in a normally running refrigerator at 34-38 degrees Fahrenheit may impede the warmer smoke air rising through the smoker as cold air is heavier then warm air, as in a hot air balloon.  That is why they have those big burners at the bottom of the balloon, so that the air is heated hot enough to rise through the heavier cold atmosphere.  Smoke is only mildly heated so the frig air temp may impede the smoke from rising.  You will need a vent so that the smoke can escape the box.  Whether a fan is required will depend on how much draft you have made arrangements for in the frig.  The plastic lining in the interior of the frig may or may not be a concern to you.  For me it would be a concern but you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing.  Same goes for the insulation between the interior walls and the exterior walls.

This is my explanation as best I can give it.  Much more knowledgeable and learned members will come along and give you much better advice.  Let me highly urge you to take their advice.

Unfortunately, this was the first attempt KyNola made at completely answering the question raised by him that the OP was confused by "cold smoking".  Perhaps true but useless. KyNola's answer did not contribute to the conversation, did not offer a site or link to obtain the necessary information, did not offer a reason why he, KyNola thought the OP was "confused" but just said; I'm sorry you are wrong.  People on this thread were talking about the refrigerators insulation and its possible effects and consequences with smoking together with the  temperature issue with a working fridge which was answered after several posts back and forth.  Then I get don't listen to me, I've only posted a few times.  listen to those who have posted many although your question still go wanting for a answer.  Finally, I believe that I got it mostly right in my post of September 26, 2013, 12:15:52 pm.  That is were I invited comments. Why NePaSmoKer is busting my chops escapes me.

Again, I thought that this was a friendly site where questions would be answered completely to further understanding and enjoyment of the craft.  I'm trying to understand. KyNola's first answer was incomplete and amounted to nothing than a statement of you're wrong. I tried to cobble together all posts and piece together an understanding of what was being said.  For my efforts I get slapped down and told that I shouldn't be heard.  If you believe that this is friendly and helpful, Good For You.

Habanero Smoker

pondee;

I did read your previous post as an assessment of the information that was posted by others. You did not ignore, but summed up several member's comments. Your input is just as valuable as anyone else of this forum, and I hope that this one thread does not discourage you from using the forum to obtain advice, information, and to contribute. A couple of negative comments is not representative of the entire forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Geezus

Nobody is busting chops.

I just posted whats on another site about cold smoking.

But if you want you can get all riled up about my post.

Have a great day in the north east......................

KyNola

I unwittingly, unknowingly and unintentionally became the epicenter of this firestorm so it seems it is only right that it is my responsibility to put this fire out.  This thread has spun off in a direction I would never have imagined.  Everyone needs to stand down.  Pondee, if my initial reply to the OP was not sufficient to you I apologize.  In my defense, the OP in his first post never asked for direction, he simply said "thoughts?".  My thought was simply "I think you are confused about cold smoking", nothing more nothing less.  If you considered it flippant it was not my intention.  When the OP asked for direction it was provided to him, both by you, me and other members of the Forum, just the way it is supposed to happen here. Exactly the same way it happened when you first got your BDS 4 rack and weren't sure how to advance the wood pucks and why you were receiving "E" messages. Go back and take a look at who responded to your requests for assistance.

Let's talk about where this goes from here.  Pondee, I hope you stay around to get to know us a little more.  I sincerely do.  Sometimes we have disagreements and "dust ups" from time to time, just like every family in America.  Doesn't mean we don't still like each other.  Granted, some of my friends here took offense when they perceived you took a swing at me.  That's why  I am responding publicly to you rather than doing it in a Private Message.

Finally, I have gotten the idea that because I am a Moderator on the Forum that somehow you think I have more of an obligation to answer each and every question that comes across the Forum.  That is not my job.  I did not lobby to become a Moderator.  Bradley asked me to be a Moderator.  I will be more than happy to relinquish that position.  Say the word and I will contact Brian tomorrow.  I will even suggest to Brian some folks who I think are more qualified to be a Moderator than me.  My apology to you stands.  Whether you stay or leave is up to you.

I am going to leave this thread open for a few days and then I am going to lock it or delete it entirely as it has gotten completely out of hand.

Larry   

GusRobin

To sum it up for Love the smoke:
a) "Cold Smoking" doesn't refer to the ambient temp, but rather to the fact that the intent is to smoke the item, not cook it. It is done at ambient temps (if your ambient temp is around 70* -90*).
b) There is a concern about the insulation and plastic in refrigerators if you are going to make any type of smoker out of them. Should be ok if you are just making a curing cabinet. Best to remove if you are not sure. Or you can contact the manufacturer if possible.
c) A cold smoke box for the Bradley can be made out of anything. If you run a search, you will see them made out of cardboard, plywood, mailboxes, microwaves,  etc. But these cold boxes are used to burn the pucks, then the smoke travels thru a vent of some type into the cabinet.

Hope all that helps.

Larry --don't give up the position.  Pondee -  stick around, you'll be glad you did.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

love the smoke

I had no intentions of this turning into a pissing  match, i asked a simple question and thought I was going to get a simple answer as I have in the past, but I see that is not happening. Lets just forget the whole thing, I called the salvage people to come and get it, this thing has caused enough grief already, i will use a cardboard box instead. I will think twice about asking a simple question in the future

LTS
LTS

Saber 4

Quote from: love the smoke on October 01, 2013, 06:40:32 PM
I had no intentions of this turning into a pissing  match, i asked a simple question and thought I was going to get a simple answer as I have in the past, but I see that is not happening. Lets just forget the whole thing, I called the salvage people to come and get it, this thing has caused enough grief already, i will use a cardboard box instead. I will think twice about asking a simple question in the future

LTS

If it works use it as a fridge, by the time you get done smoking a bunch of cheese and stuff you will need all the fridge space you can get. I don't think your question was the cause of this dust up, I think it was some simple misunderstanding amongst several of us so please don't hesitate to ask questions in the future.

hal4uk

If'n I wuz gonna stitch my cattle brand on my saddle, I'd use Kentucky Blue thread.
But, then again, if Grandma had wheels, she'd have been a bicycle.
Seem like it never rains when you need it.
How bout dem Cowboys?
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

pz

Quote from: KyNola on October 01, 2013, 05:56:16 PM
...  In my defense, the OP in his first post never asked for direction, he simply said "thoughts?".  My thought was simply "I think you are confused about cold smoking", nothing more nothing less.  If you considered it flippant it was not my intention...

When one is speaking face to face, then it is easy to read the body language of the other person in the conversation to "read" the tone of the communication.  When online, it is entirely different; because you cannot see the person making the statement, it is often relatively easy to misinterpret the intent, which in retrospect clearly occurred in this instance.  Just yesterday on another forum  I was in the hot seat because I had completely unintentionally made a tongue-in-cheek comment, and, I have also been in Pondee's position where I interpreted an online comment not in the way it was intended - unfortunately misunderstandings often occur on the internet.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

pondee

Yeah,  things have gotten out of control.  As for my part, I do apologize.  Love the Smoke seemed so excited about his "find" and use of the Fridge to cold smoke I thought he deserved a complete answer lest he go off in an unsafe ill-advised way.  One thing led to another and, well , we have all read the result.  Sorry for my part in this P1$$1ng match  It is time it stopped.  I believe that the answer, situation,  has been completely supplied/discussed.  Please accept my apology.  The advise I've received here has been so good I was taken aback by what I saw as a half fast response by a high ranking member to someone so excited about his new toy/ way.  I was mistaken.

Thanks to all the cooler heads who have stepped up to calm the waters.  Thanks for your understanding and forgiveness.