Confused about Bacon (...and slicers)

Started by Mark in Ottawa, April 18, 2013, 10:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark in Ottawa

So I took the plunge and ordered pink salt and bought 3 2.5lbs pork bellies at the local market thinking that I'd just whip back here and pull up a recipe...and then I got confused.

I'm looking for a regular strip bacon recipe and a maple bacon recipe. My confusion is that I can't tell if a back (Canadian) bacon recipe will work for pork belly, or which recipe will give me that nice hearty smokey bacon flavour. I've done all the searches I can handle, but I'm still confused - can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, with this much bacon in the works, I'm looking for recommendations on a decent slicer that won't break the bank. I'll probably use the slicer maybe 15 times a year, but would like it to last and not be a pain to use. I'm thinking under $200. I've checked Kijiji and there's nothing but commercial slicers going for $500 and up...suggestions? Keep waiting on a good used one? Any leads on a good new one I should consider?

Thanks in advance - I love this site, especially when you guys give me a little leeway   ::)  ;D (since there's a ton of bacon posts out there, I just can't seem to figure them out :o).

Mark (in Ottawa, Canada)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Grouperman941

When I do belly bacon, I just use 'Basic Dry Cure'. Then I can add seasoning to the mix from there if I want, but lately I have not been adding anything. It comes out great.

There are some entry level commercial slicers out there for just under $300. I got a lower end model for $120 that works for me.

http://www.amazon.com/EdgeCraft-610-Choice-Premium-Electric/dp/B0002AKCOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366307764&sr=8-2&keywords=chef+choice+610

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Habanero Smoker

Your question can't be answered unless you can compare the two recipes. Generally the answer would be yes, but there are so many recipes out there I don't know what two recipes you are comparing. Usually with belly bacon you want to keep the ppm of nitrites around I believe around 120 - 148 ppm (I'm not positive on the high end). The reason for the lower recommended ppm for belly bacon is because it is usually fried at high temperatures, and any residual nitrites can produce carcinogenic nitrosamines. These are USDA recommendations.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

Quote from: Grouperman941 on April 18, 2013, 11:00:24 AM
When I do belly bacon, I just use 'Basic Dry Cure'. Then I can add seasoning to the mix from there if I want, but lately I have not been adding anything. It comes out great.

There are some entry level commercial slicers out there for just under $300. I got a lower end model for $120 that works for me.

http://www.amazon.com/EdgeCraft-610-Choice-Premium-Electric/dp/B0002AKCOC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366307764&sr=8-2&keywords=chef+choice+610

Same slicer I bought. Works great for bacon. I have found is works better if the bacon is nice and cold.

beefmann

Quote from: Mark in Ottawa on April 18, 2013, 10:45:52 AM
So I took the plunge and ordered pink salt and bought 3 2.5lbs pork bellies at the local market thinking that I'd just whip back here and pull up a recipe...and then I got confused.

I'm looking for a regular strip bacon recipe and a maple bacon recipe. My confusion is that I can't tell if a back (Canadian) bacon recipe will work for pork belly, or which recipe will give me that nice hearty smokey bacon flavour. I've done all the searches I can handle, but I'm still confused - can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, with this much bacon in the works, I'm looking for recommendations on a decent slicer that won't break the bank. I'll probably use the slicer maybe 15 times a year, but would like it to last and not be a pain to use. I'm thinking under $200. I've checked Kijiji and there's nothing but commercial slicers going for $500 and up...suggestions? Keep waiting on a good used one? Any leads on a good new one I should consider?

Thanks in advance - I love this site, especially when you guys give me a little leeway   ::)  ;D (since there's a ton of bacon posts out there, I just can't seem to figure them out :o).

Mark (in Ottawa, Canada)

i have done pork belly bacon and pork loin ( Canadian bacon ) using the  same recipe or cure both with good results as for a slicer i have a  kalorik slicer and  like it... only thing i dont  like about it it seems to be  light and  slides around the counter  from time to time... wish it was a bit heavier.and its around $ 100.00 at amazon currently

http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-200-Watt-Electric-Slicer-Silver/dp/B002KAPDQO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1366321943&sr=8-2&keywords=7+inch+meat+slicers

KyNola

Here ya go Mark.  I have used this method many times with great success.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6770.0

You really have 2 recipes in 1.  For maple bacon, make it "as directed".  For regular bacon, leave out the maple syrup.

Habanero Smoker

Just for general information the link above is the same recipe used in 10.5 pictorial.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

BAM1

I make 10.5's version both with and without maple.  The one without I use cracked pepper on.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

KyNola

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 19, 2013, 12:49:06 PM
Just for general information the link above is the same recipe used in 10.5 pictorial.
My apologies Chris.  I failed to give you credit.

Mark in Ottawa

Thanks so much for the replies, guys.

I used 10.5's (or KyNola's) recipe and it's in the fridge now. I made 5lbs of maple bacon and 5lbs normal. I can't wait to try them out next week!

I also was able to pick up a slicer on Kijiji - a nice Nella made in Italy. I paid a little more than I wanted to, but in the end I think I got a good machine. There's only one problem that I noticed when I got it home. It's got a 8.5 inch blade and accomodates product a maximum of 7.5 inches wide. With the bacon being closer to 9 inches, how do you guys slice the bacon? Just trim down the bellies to fit the slicer? Fold it in half?

Thanks again for all the help!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: KyNola on April 20, 2013, 06:43:31 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 19, 2013, 12:49:06 PM
My apologies Chris.  I failed to give you credit.

It was just general information, I wasn't looking at it as who gets credit. The two recipes are the same and come from Michael Ruhlman's "Charcuterie". I figured since they are the same recipe, 10.5 pictorial may be more helpful to some.

I
         don't
                   inhale.