Pastrami

Started by ratherbboating, April 26, 2013, 08:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

Sirloin Tip fixed pastrami Style.
I had a small tip roast, 4lbs and decided to fix pastrami style (from Susanminor site, by jhurlbur)

Preparing to trim and inject.  Note the meat tenderizer, decided to punch a bunch of holes in it to absorb the favor a little better.

After injecting, into a baggie to soak for 6 days.  This bag leaked a little, so had to double bag.

After a rest in the refridge, applied some rub before going into the smoker.  Used pecan for smoke.

Out of the smoker, 7 hours, IT 160F

Let it cool overnight and sliced.

And the all importation taste test.  Note the glass of milk, goats milk, fresh that morning. 

Had a good taste, slightly sweet taste.  The edges were just starting to dry out, but not bad.

Overall, next time I do it:  1. IT 150.  2.  After 2 hours of smoke, close the damper.  3.  Spritz more often with apple juice (wonder if I could sub the apple cider  beer?).

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

KyNola

Would suggest you not close the damper especially if you are going to continue to spritz with apple juice.  You want the moisture to escape the tower.  Otherwise it is going to condensate on the inside top of your tower and drip black rain down on to your meat.  Trust me, you don't want that.(Don't ask me how I know :P)  Also, every time you open the door to spritz, you are losing all of the heat in the tower.

beefmann

looks good great  job.. keep thje damper open

wetzel1977

BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Consooger

and that looks really tasty
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife