Crock Pot Belly

Started by GusRobin, April 27, 2013, 07:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Last weekend I took the wife to Nashville for her birthday. We had a nice dinner at this restaurant that had bacon as an appetizer. It was actually a chunk of belly. It was very tender and had a great flavor. I asked how they made it and the server said they sous vide it.
So yesterday I remembered a slab of belly I had in the freezer. The closest I have come to sous vide cooking is heating up some Green Giant veggies. So I was thinking (which is always dangerous) why don't I try it in the crock pot.

So last night I took the belly

I cut a section off the slab and re-vacuum sealed and put the rest back in the freezer. Cut the section in half and put the pieces into the fridge to defrost overnight.

I thought I would keep it simple and just add some pepper, salt, and a little cayenne to add a bit of kick. I debated about searing first so I decided to run a test with one seared and the other not seared. I cut a corner off the one I was going to sear so that I could tell them apart.  The players:

Here is the seared one with the spices added.

Into the crock pot and see you in about 8 hours or so.

UPDATE
So its been about 7 hrs and I think it is done. Here they are in the crock pot.

Out of the pot and on the dish.

I didn't really make any plans on what to do with it once it was done, so I just added some sauce, added some onions and ate it as is.

I must say, it was excellent. I will definitely make it again soon. I just need to figure out different sides etc.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

iceman

Looks like a killer recipe Gus. I'll take a few plates of that to go  ;D

terry08

Looks awesome. You can Google sous vide pork belly, and find lots of good recipe's. I sous vide all my steaks and they turn out great.
I have had this one and it was great. Never done it myself though.
http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012/01/sous-vide-pork-belly-sliders/

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

mikecorn.1

Wow! That does look good.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

wetzel1977

Bacon looks great !! I love bacon !! but who doesn't
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

GusRobin

Quote from: terry08 on April 29, 2013, 03:38:05 AM
Looks awesome. You can Google sous vide pork belly, and find lots of good recipe's. I sous vide all my steaks and they turn out great.
I have had this one and it was great. Never done it myself though.
http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012/01/sous-vide-pork-belly-sliders/

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
Problem is I don't have a sous vide cooker and if I bought another thing now it would screw up the dry cure stuff I am going to by. (By screw up I mean the wife would have me sleeping in the shed with my Bradley --hmm when you think about it, it doesn't seem that bad.) I could have used a roaster but I didn't want to fool with it for 10-18 hrs.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

wetzel1977

Sleeping out in the shed with my smoker or with my wife. Hummm the smoker it don't take back!!
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Habanero Smoker

I generally grill or roast fresh belly.

If you have a vacuum sealer, a crock pot and a PID, you have every thing you need to sous vide. Just google "sous vide" and you get plenty of instructions on how to do it. I have even sous vide in a stock pot over a one burner hot plate, and had it controlled by my BBQ Guru DigiQ II.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 29, 2013, 01:16:10 PM
I generally grill or roast fresh belly.

If you have a vacuum sealer, a crock pot and a PID, you have every thing you need to sous vide. Just google "sous vide" and you get plenty of instructions on how to do it. I have even sous vide in a stock pot over a one burner hot plate, and had it controlled by my BBQ Guru DigiQ II.
I will have to try that with my Auber PID

terry08