• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Seasoning complete sir, awaiting new orders!

Started by DonOtt, April 28, 2013, 11:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonOtt

Well, finally got a day where there was no rain and I put my smoker together and seasoned it with Mesquite.

I couldn't get it down to 66 degrees. It hovered around 80 even though I slid the control quite far to the left.

I have the Maverick ET-732 coming in so that should help I hope.

GusRobin

Maverick won't get your temps lower or higher, it will just tell you what the temps are. Why do you want it to 66* (is that C or F?)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DonOtt

The manual calls for 66* C to season it...just trying to follow orders  :D

When I mentioned the Maverick, I meant that if the temp gauge on the front were off, it would give me a truer reading while smoking.

GusRobin

At first I thought you meant 66F and were trying to get the temp down to cold smoke
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

wetzel1977

Can't go wrong on buying a Maverick temp gauge they are very accurate
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

mikecorn.1

Congrats on your new smoker.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

DonOtt

Any recommendations for my first attempt at smoking something?

wetzel1977

do a pork butt or shoulder that will have you hooked after you get your smackers on it !!
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

beefmann

Mark in Ottawa

Hey Don,
Just ordered one of those Mavericks myself.

It's addicting, isn't it! God, I love good southern smoked BBQ.

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

DonOtt

Hey Mark.....good to hear.

I'm anxious and nervous about doing my first meal. I want to do something fairly simple (but good) to start with and if I screw it up, something that I won't cry over.

Most of the family are kinda watching our waistline as we are heading on a cruise (Allure) on May 19.

Mark in Ottawa

Hey Don,
I'd do ribs with the 3-2-1 method with a big side salad and some corn or something. Easy on the waist line, good starting meal (especially with 10.5's ribs picture tutorial), and with the veg on there, nobody will complain!

Good luck!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

KyNola

If you're looking for something simple to get started, I think I would smoke a couple of chickens.  Easy to do, doesn't take a long time and delicious.  Simply put your favorite Rub on the chicken and into the smoker at 250F.  Be sure the vent is completely open as poultry gives off a lot of moisture that you need to escape.  The skin of the chicken will be rubbery but if you are looking for something light you would probably discard the skin anyhow.  Chicken will only require a couple of hours of smoke as they are like a smoke sponge. 

DonOtt

Something is getting lost in translation Mark. I don't speak very much Smokese yet :)

wetzel1977

make some jans rub for your up coming smokes
BDS 4 rack
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder