Key Lime Cheesecake

Started by OmegaMan, August 10, 2006, 10:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmegaMan

I modified this over the years based on an Emeril recipe.  You can either make your own graham cracker crust or
purchase one of the name brands.  To make your own is really simple and worth the effort IMHO.

Makes one 9 inch pie.  (I use a 10 inch tart pan because I like the filling to be not very deep, about 5/8 inch and you
can remove the outside band without damaging the outside crust).

Ingredients for crust:
7 Tablespoons melted butter
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs.

Break up the graham crackers into 1 inch or so squares and place them in a food processor.  Process them to a fine consitency.
Measure the graham crackers to ensure you have 1 1/2 cups.  Add the sugar and melted butter and process the ingredients
until they are incorporated.

Press the crumb mixture into a pie pan making sure to evenly coat the bottom and up the sides.  Set aside on counter and proceed
to make the filling.

Filling ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup key lime juice (I use Nellie and Joe's key lime juice for convenience, but any limes will work making sure you adjust the amount
                               of sugar used accordingly).
1 Tablespoon lime zest (optional)
2 eggs, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
1 egg white, room temperature
8oz. cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar (lime mixture)
1/8 cup granulated sugar (egg whites)

In a saucepan over medium to medium-low heat dissolve the gelatin in the lime juice for about 5 minutes.
Add 2/3 cup of sugar and dissolve.  Add the eggs, egg yolk and lime zest to mixture and continue to cook
for 5 to 8 minutes.  IMPORTANT Whisk mixture constantly until it takes on a pudding consitency, making
sure the eggs don't scramble and it doesn't burn (I watch the mixture and often take the saucepan on and off
the heat). 

Beat the cream cheese in an electric mixer until smooth.  Add the lime mixture slowly and beat until incorporated
fully.  Place the mixture in a bowl and refrigerate until cool (30 min. to an hour).

In another bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, adding the sugar slowly.  Take the cooled
cream cheese/lime mixture and fold the egg whites into it until completed incorporated (I add the egg whites
in 3 increments).  Pour the completed mixture into the pie crust.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours
or overnite is even better or until it sets thoroughly.

I top mine with whipped cream using a pastry bag with a star tip on each individual slice.  You can garnish it with
thinly sliced lime for each piece as well on top of the whipped cream. 

p.s. If you want to make 2 pies at a time, 1 gelatine packet works perfectly.

iceman

Thanks OmegaMan.
Make sure this hits the recipe site too. ;D

manxman

Thanks OmegaMan, looks excellent! ;D
Manxman

asa

Looks great O-man. Can't wait to try it.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

OmegaMan

Guys, I made a mistake and just edited the recipe above.  It should be 1 1/2 teaspoons of gelatin instead
of 1 1/2 Tablespoons.  Sorry about that and I hope I didn't screw anyone up. 

Patrick

iceman

Quote from: OmegaMan on August 12, 2006, 03:11:53 PM
Guys, I made a mistake and just edited the recipe above.  It should be 1 1/2 teaspoons of gelatin instead
of 1 1/2 Tablespoons.  Sorry about that and I hope I didn't screw anyone up. 

Patrick
Figured it out by the doubling thing on using one package. No harm done and worked out great. Awsome was the lowest rating. Ya done yer self proud!!! ;D ;D ;D

asa

Thanks for the correction. I think the original I copied had 1 and 1/4 tablespoons, but I may have read it incorrectly.

Can't wait to try it.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

OmegaMan

It did asa.  The reason I caught the error was because I made one yesterday and ran
to the puter to make the change once I figured it out.   :o 

Pretty good stuff after spicy Fajitas.  Glad you liked it Iceman.

car54

I am looking forward to this and  Fallen Key Lime Souffle  also on this site.

Brad