First Smoke and it's Pork Tenderloin

Started by DonOtt, May 05, 2013, 05:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonOtt

Hey folks..

I decided that I would do some Pork Tenderloin in the smoker for my first attempt. Been going through the posts on here about doing a tenderloin and what I have consistently picked is;
Bring smoker up to 225
Smoke for 1 - 1 1/2 hours
When IT reaches 142-145, remove, wrap in foil and let rest.

Questions: do I put the loin in after the smoker reaches 225?
Do I cook it in the foil at any time or it just to let it rest?
Do I need to use Apple juice to keep moist?
Trying to plan so what is the total cooking time approximately?

I plan on using Apple and another wood for smoking....

I used a blend of spices I like as a rub (no recipe) and its been in the fridge overnight.

Cheers....Don

ragweed

I'm sure the experts will chime in, but for my two cents, I do a P. loin (not a tenderloin) basically the same way.  Rub, frig overnight, pre heat 225 then add the meat (rm temp-ish) smoke 3 hrs  continue 'til IT ~140.  FTC w/ a little apple juice.   Always turns out nice and moist.  Probably won't take near as long with the smaller cut.  So 1 - 1 1/2 might be just right.  Good luck and let us see the results!!

beefmann

Don,

your on the right  track,

if possible
tower temp 225 with a 30 minute warm up ( give or take a  few minutes )
depending on the size of the tenderloin  i would consider 2 hours of apple ( have done 15 lbs of tenderloin and smoked with 4 hours of apple .. well Canadian bacon )
IT Temp of 142  - 145

as for  cooking it in foil no though FTC may come in handy ( wrap in Foil, wrap in Towel and Place in Cooler ) to keep warm till dinner is a  good idea
yes you  can use apple juice to keep it moist,,, if you  have a  way to inject the  loin you could inject with 1.5  oz of apple juice per lb of loin
1 - 1.5 hr per lb of cooking time.

hope this helps

Grouperman941

I don't think it would hurt anything by putting the loin in the smoker before it comes up to temp. If you roll smoke, it may even impart more smoke flavor.

I would try one without injecting to see what it is like. I find by only going to the 140s that the tenderloin stays very moist.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

beefmann

TedEbear

Quote from: DonOtt on May 06, 2013, 03:53:17 PM
Well, according to the family, it was a huge success!

I have to figure out how to post pics....

Looks good.

How to Add Pics to Posts on the Bradley Smoker Forum

DonOtt

This was my first time using it and I had a tough time maintaining the temperature at 225.
Initially, it soared (?) past 225 so I turned it down a bit, started the bisquettes and threw the tenderloin in. Temp dropped to around 189 and kind of hovered there so I had to go back out and turn it up a bit. This went on for a while until it settled down.

I was a bit nervous so I cut one of the loins in half, found it to be a bit too pink for the wife's liking so placed it on the BBQ for about 10 minutes.

I put a mixture of water and apple juice in the tray and found the loin and chicken breasts (not pictured) to be very juicy.
Used a mix of Special Blend and Whiskey Oak. Thought I had Apple in the variety pack when I bought it but when I checked, it was Alder  :-[