Dumb Question, I think

Started by Spenser, May 16, 2006, 12:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spenser

Indulge me, please-I have been contemplating what to smoke this weekend when I realized that I might be doing this Bradley thing all wrong.  I have an original, recently replaced smoke generator.  I typically only load the number of bisquits that I think it should take to smoke what I am making (eg. 3 bisquits for cheese, 6 for jerky) with two Bubba pucks thrown on top of the stack for good measure.  So, while thinking about this the question came up-instead of burning my hands moving a hot bubba puck, then throwing it across the yard because I burn my fingers, and promptly douse them im my beer,  when I realize that I need more smoke and cooking time, should I just load the stack and let it run until the items are done or hit the right internal temperature?  What do other people do?   ???

whitetailfan

Quote from: Spenser on May 16, 2006, 12:02:05 PM
instead of burning my hands moving a hot bubba puck, then throwing it across the yard because I burn my fingers, and promptly douse them im my beer
;D ;D ;D
You have the method right.  What you need to do is each time you smoke and it's not enough smoke, right it down and add more pucks next time you do it.  You should not load the tube and run smoke the whole time - smoke for flavour and heat for cooking - they are seperate items.  The only thing I can think of where I smoke for the exact amount of time my food is in the smoker, is cold smoking cheese.  EVERYTHING else is X amount of bisquettes, with more time to cook.
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

icerat4

HI. I put in 4 hours of pucks all the time.But i do put in enough food  or big enough like pulled pork only gets 4-5 hours .4-5 pounds of chicken take 3-4 hours.I match the amount of food to the cook times.An extra 20 -40 mins of smoke is no biggie.Its if ya do it 3-4-5- hours of more smoke.Hope that helps ya out.If not others will chime in happy smoking