• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Johnsonville Brat patties

Started by Saber 4, June 04, 2013, 06:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

The wife likes the Johnsonville Brat Patties and I have a few in the freezer from before I got my grinder and Bradley. My question is has anyone ever tried to thaw them and smoke them in the Bradley to improve the taste? Any advice or suggestions would be great, the package says they can be thawed in the fridge before cooking so I think I can thaw and insert my temp probe to ensure they're cooked through and I was thinking 1-2 hours of Mesquite at 220 until IT of 150. If this looks like a bad idea someone talk me off the ledge.....

Tenpoint5

Keep your cabinet as cool as possible and cold smoke them. Wrap in plastic wrap and put back into the fridge overnight. Will give the smoke time to set in.

OR

Run cabinet at 225 apply 20-40 minutes of smoke. Go straight to the grill to finish.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

They do not have cure in them so I would not smoke them at anything less than 220 to 225 degrees of cabinet temp.  I have smoke lots of fresh sausage at 220 with no ill effects.  I like the idea of finishing them off on the grill as I personally like the sear that the grill gives.  With patties 1 hr of smoke should be plenty and then hit the grill.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Saber 4

Thanks for the info guy's, the cold smoke is out since we're already in the 90's before noon. I like the idea of smoking for an hour and finishing on the grill. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm going to do their Brats and mild Italian since I have both to get rid of in the freezer, then it's time to start the grinder and try some of these great looking sausage recipes.