1st timer's checklist

Started by Malc, May 17, 2006, 07:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

Why wait, Today's Wednesday.  Stop by from home and grab some steaks for cold smoking.  Maybe a ham steak to smoke cook.  Maybe a couple chicken breats with cheese, ham and bacon.  Maybe a beef roast.  Or just some simple sausages to smoke cook. 

Seriously I know what it s like to wait.  I am picking up some BabyBacks tomorrow afternoon form the butcher and will have to wait till Saturday as well.  Course I found some pistachios for Friday. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Malc

Hmmm...what do you do with those steaks?  That sounds good.

Malc
From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe.

IKnowWood

New York strip steaks I cold smoke for 1 hour.  I do it by only using the puck burner with a LOT of use in containers, in the puck pan and in a pan over the drip tray.  Keeps temps at about 60 degrees for the entire hour

I cold smoke with Misquite then once hour is done, I grill them as normal.  At medium Rare it is great tasting.  Any warmer - more cooked, it looses some flavor. Its still great.

NY Strips are my fav this way.  Very juicy as well.

IKnowWood

Malc

"I do it by only using the puck burner with a LOT of use in containers, in the puck pan and in a pan over the drip tray.  Keeps temps at about 60 degrees for the entire hour"

Could you elaborate on that a bit?  I am not sure what you mean by ""a LOT of use in containers."

TomG

IKW probably meant "a LOT of ice" :)

IKnowWood

Yes, the COLD stuff called ICE it Make sure to use the V drip pan and the bottom tray.  The containers of ICE create a lot of condensation that could damage things if allowed to drip on stuff or run out of the door.

I have tried this with no ice on a non-preheated smoker with the puck burner only and it does not work right. 

I have not truly cold smoked with indirect smoke.  The ice is just as easy for a short burst of smoke.
IKnowWood

Malc

iceman

IKW don't forget to fill your cocktail glass FIRST then the smoker! :D ;D ::)

IKnowWood

Ya know, that gives me an idea.   How about a bloddy mary or some other coctail with ice cubes, with cubes left over from the smoker.  They have some smoke flavor..  The water even is has some color to it. 

hmm.  What coctail would work?  Fuzzy Pork Navel?  A little OJ, smoke cubes, small bit of puree of pulled pork, Vodka, splash o dark rum hmm
IKnowWood

Malc

Well, here is what went down.  Friday night I rubbed the butt with the following:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup pepper(a blend of black, red and green)
2T chile powder
2T garlic powder
2T onion powder
2T chile flakes

Saturday, I smoked the butt for 3 hrs using the mesquite, and continued to let it cook until internal temp. was 185.  I started the butt at 5:30 a.m. and pulled it off at about 5 p.m.  I FTC'ed it for 1 hr., pulled and ate it.  It was awesome.  I used my wife's family as guinea pigs and they loved it.  The mesquites was not bad at all, but that was probably due the short time on the smoke, so thanks for that tip.  Can't wait to try something else.

Malc

begolf25

Malc,

Glad your first smoke went great.  One thing I was surprised to find was how much better, IMO, that smoked food tasted after given a chance to sit.  The last time I did pulled pork I had some right away but the rest I vacuum sealed and threw in the freezer.  A couple of weeks later I got some out and threw it in some boiling water to heat.  I was amazed how much better the flavor was.  So this weekend I did two boston butts and vacuum sealed all of it into about two portions each.  Now whenever I feel like some pulled pork all I gotta do is reach into the freezer and grab a bag.

The first few times I smoked I did just enough for dinner or the weekend.  I realized that from now on I am gonna just load the smoker up and vacuum seal all the extra.  Makes it easy to have smoked food anytime you want it.  Glad you like the Bradley.

Bryan