heat shield

Started by boxertrio, May 22, 2006, 09:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

after about 25 chicken rolls the ole Bradley was quite a mess....I cleaned her up and got 2 smokin 5 whole chickens. Well I couldn't get my temp up above 215 and it took hours to get that high... and I had 4 7lb butts yet to do.  I took her back apart and wrapped the heat shield in aluminum foil because it was no longer cleanable.  Bingo the temp was fine for the butts, came up quickly and maintained fine...The graduation party was a success!  This makes well over 500lbs of meat in the short time I have owned the Bradley...Can a guy buy a shiny new heat shield?  I think it could make one pretty easily if not. Keep on smokin!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Oldman

Quote2 smokin 5 whole chickens
The problem is not the the unit.  The problem with the heat is the vast amount of moisture 5 chickens give off.

If you think about it a bomb shell smoker uses a large water pan for only one reason. To give of moisture in order to control the heat and keep it under 200 F.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

asa

Quote from: boxertrio on May 22, 2006, 09:53:04 AM
Can a guy buy a shiny new heat shield?  I think it could make one pretty easily if not. Keep on smokin!!

If by heat shield, you mean the V-shaped drip tray, Chez Bubba has 'em for 11 bucks. Or, I'm sure, the Bradley folks can supply you also. But Chez's service is great - order one tonight and you'll have it before the weekend, although, come to think of it, I shouldn't make any predictions since I don't know where you live. But their service is great, nonetheless.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

boxertrio

I am referring to the heat deflector that is mounted with the bulb.  Olds, i use a big pan for moister when I do chicken, my concern was that I have smoked a bunch of birds and hadn't had this problem before.  Last week when I did some brisket flats I forgot to put the V tray in (3rd time I've done that  ::)), and the bulb and deflector got messed up.  I got the bulb cleaned, but the deflector wouldn't come clean even with the power washer.  Thanks for the help guys, I used a polishing wheel and got her shined back up, I fired it up afterward and it made quite a difference in the preheat time.
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC