Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

Can't wait to see it sliced up!

Saber 4

Quote from: SiFumar on August 04, 2013, 02:30:46 PM
Can't wait to see it sliced up!

Waiting to taste it is killing me....

Saber 4

Have I mentioned that I HATE the stall.... the bacon is sitting at 154 and 155 and it sure looks done, but I am going to defer to Beefmann's experience with his and keep it going till at least 160 before I maybe slice off a small piece to test.

SiFumar

Quote from: Saber 4 on August 04, 2013, 03:11:41 PM
Have I mentioned that I HATE the stall.... the bacon is sitting at 154 and 155 and it sure looks done, but I am going to defer to Beefmann's experience with his and keep it going till at least 160 before I maybe slice off a small piece to test.

Ya the stall is the hardest!  But so worth it in the end!

Saber 4

Pulled them both at 169 and let them rest, the front one is the dry cure and the back is the wet cure

Money shot of the dry cured bacon sliced

And the money shot of the wet cure bacon sliced

They are both very good, my wife is liking the dry cure better and I think I agree with her although I am waiting until it's had at least a day in the fridge to settle before I fully slice it. They both cooked up nice but different, the wet cure was a little closer to pork bacon but the dry cure had a better texture and taste. the apple juice in the wet cure may have been a little to much, may need to cut back on it next time. And there will be a next time for sure. Can't wait to bring it to the MWSO next weekend and hear what kind of reviews it gets.

Tenpoint5

Looks real goo you slicing 5hose with or against the grain?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pz

l sure would like to taste those  ;)
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 04, 2013, 07:50:31 PM
Looks real goo you slicing 5hose with or against the grain?

I want to say I cut the test pieces with the grain like pork bacon and it isn't tough or hard to bite, not sure how I'll cut the final slicing so I'm up for suggestions

Quote from: pz on August 04, 2013, 07:52:17 PM
l sure would like to taste those  ;)

Head east young man! Iowa is calling your name :)

beefmann

congrats on both... sounds  like  both  were winners

Saber 4

Quote from: beefmann on August 05, 2013, 06:17:49 AM

Thanks, the wife said we should definitely do again so it had to be a winner. Your trailblazing and question answering service were most helpful in pulling this off, we really loved the rub you came up with and we're going to try it on the next pork belly.

rveal23

Those look really good Saber 4.. Congrats!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

Quote from: Saber 4 on August 05, 2013, 07:26:04 AM
Quote from: beefmann on August 05, 2013, 06:17:49 AM

Thanks, the wife said we should definitely do again so it had to be a winner. Your trailblazing and question answering service were most helpful in pulling this off, we really loved the rub you came up with and we're going to try it on the next pork belly.

thanks.. sometimes   one has to take the bull by the horn and take it to the ground

Saber 4

Here's the final sliced up pictures,

Here's the dry cured sliced up

And the wet cured all sliced up and ready to eat

They both tasted real good after their night in the fridge.

Tenpoint5

They both look good! I like the color better on the dry cure one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pz

Starting to drool - haven't had breakfast or lunch  ;D

I too like the color on the dry cure - looks almost like corned beef
My online cookbook: good food & friends