Beefmann Beefy Bacon

Started by beefmann, June 18, 2013, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefmann

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 22, 2013, 06:27:19 PM
Beefman, I'm going this week looking for beef belly and I was wondering why you went with a wet cure on yours instead of a dry cure, I haven't really found a good explanation of the benefits or differences in the two methods. I was thinking about using a dry cure since that's the only way I've done bacon so far but I'm open to revising my plan. If I can't get beef belly I'm going to find a good sized brisket.

I wanted to  try a  wet cure... and am glad i did,,, it also added  juice / moisture into the  meat that made it  juicer as well, .. on most of my cured meats  this is  only the second time i have  used a wet cure and by far the best,  I have used dry cures  all the  rest of the time and they  seem to leave the meat a bit  on the  dry  side.. so it is a  personal choice if you  want a  juicer piece of  meat or  one that  is dryer,.,  my choice is a  juicer  one which means a wet cure.

ithe  only  other  reason would be flavor,,, I  also noticed that since i used apple juice  it  did make a good flavor  change along with the  rest of the ingredients,,, Hope this helps

rveal23

I'm glad Someone posted in this Thread again to be able actually read this thread. I prob. wouldn't have found it for a while.  The bacon looks great! I'll chalk this up on my list to do's.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 02, 2013, 05:03:11 PM
I guess I'm blessed to be in Texas the land of beef and hogs, I can get brisket for $1.77 and pork belly for $3.99

Dang those are good prices; the cheapest I can get brisket in my area (when in fact I can find it) is $2.99, and pork belly is not an option at all unless you just want small pieces about 4 inches square.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

rveal23

I'm going to try my hand at Pork Bacon First. I know I can find that here in LA without any issues.
I know all the great Mexican Markets and I know they have killer prices.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Beefman - That makes good sense to me, I liked the idea of the apple juice when I first saw your recipe, If I can get a good price I may try one dry and one wet just to see what happens all things being equal, especially if I can get 2 five pounders off the same belly.

Quote from: pz on July 23, 2013, 12:16:14 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on July 02, 2013, 05:03:11 PM
I guess I'm blessed to be in Texas the land of beef and hogs, I can get brisket for $1.77 and pork belly for $3.99

Dang those are good prices; the cheapest I can get brisket in my area (when in fact I can find it) is $2.99, and pork belly is not an option at all unless you just want small pieces about 4 inches square.

Have you tried to find a local meat market or meat locker plant? If you're not sure check with a local feed store to find out where rancher's take their beef to be slaughtered.

Quote from: rveal23 on July 23, 2013, 12:40:15 PM
I'm going to try my hand at Pork Bacon First. I know I can find that here in LA without any issues.

You will love it, follow TenPoint's  Maple cured bacon recipe from the recipe site and you can't go wrong it will make great slab bacon or Canadian Bacon. Then dive in and try the beef bacon with us

pz

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 23, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
Have you tried to find a local meat market or meat locker plant? If you're not sure check with a local feed store to find out where rancher's take their beef to be slaughtered.

I have a relatively local butcher shop (45 minutes away) that I visit when I can get the time, and usually purchase what they call "bag meat" which is some kind of slab of beef that is typically 12-14 pounds.  They offer whole brisket@$2.99/lb - they probably have the occasional sale, but I have not seen it at anything less during my infrequent visits. 

This is the same place where I recently purchase boneless ribeye for $3.99/lb and New York for $2.99/lb, both of which are very tender and flavorful.  I did not see salt pork in the counter, but did not ask - I will next time for sure.

rveal23

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 23, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
Beefman - That makes good sense to me, I liked the idea of the apple juice when I first saw
Quote from: rveal23 on July 23, 2013, 12:40:15 PM

You will love it, follow TenPoint's  Maple cured bacon recipe from the recipe site and you can't go wrong it will make great slab bacon or Canadian Bacon. Then dive in and try the beef bacon with us

We love Bacon and I know the process takes a while so If I can have my wife fall in love with the end product, I will definitely have no issues ever on making more, even if its beef.. That's why I love smoking, there is hardly anything that turns out horrible and who doesn't like food!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

we also like bacon around here,.. family says the  beef bacon has a  great flavor, though have  a split family on which they prefer

rveal23

Quote from: beefmann on July 24, 2013, 09:53:22 AM
we also like bacon around here,.. family says the  beef bacon has a  great flavor, though have  a split family on which they prefer

Beefman, you know what that means.. I guess you have to take it upon yourself to have to make both cuts all the time so everyone is happy! Oh no, what am I to do with all this great Bacon??  :o
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

Quote from: rveal23 on July 24, 2013, 10:18:11 AM

Beefman, you know what that means.. I guess you have to take it upon yourself to have to make both cuts all the time so everyone is happy! Oh no, what am I to do with all this great Bacon??  :o

Gain 20 lbs per person! ! !

pz

rveal23

Quote from: beefmann on July 24, 2013, 10:51:06 AM

And the problem is??? LOL..
Hey man, you have to sacrifice your body to make sure everyone is happy..  ;D
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Quote from: rveal23 on July 24, 2013, 10:18:11 AM

At least the whole family gains equally so no one can get upset with you. :D

beefmann

Quote from: rveal23 on July 24, 2013, 11:47:39 AM

as Earnie ford wold say... sort-of... Another day  of smoking and deeper in debt

Saber 4

Quote from: beefmann on July 24, 2013, 12:32:38 PM
Quote from: rveal23 on July 24, 2013, 11:47:39 AM

as Earnie ford wold say... sort-of... Another day  of smoking and deeper in debt

I definitely heard that, I've got to get out and start killing some wild hog so I have some free smoker projects