Maryland Crabcakes

Started by Maryland Crab, April 14, 2006, 01:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Tried the crab cakes tonight.  liked them very much thanks  ;D.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

tsquared

QuoteI will show you one of the delights of the western world - sitting down to a pile of steamed crabs slathered with Old Bay - a pitcher of a good microbrew and I use some onion rings to cleanse the pallette.
Well you have me drooling too, and it's 7 in the morning here on the Wet Coast. I am definately going to try your crab cake recipe as fishing and crabbing season is upon us. The boat goes in to the marina for the summer next weekend(after I have one more shot at catching a halibut). We had our first crab feed last weekend--they are Dungeness out here but I hope they will do well in your recipe.
Thanks,
T2

Maryland Crab

Glad y'all enjoyed the recipe.  Our crab season won't start until early July in earnest.  The weird thing around here is many stop eating crabs after Labor Day and that is when those little beauties are very plentiful.  The price usually drops nicely and off we go!!!  A quiet weekend here after a concert at the U of Maryland tonight (Fear the Turtle).  Am certainly going to try to cold smoke a pair of T-Bones and them pop them on the fire.  That sounds like a plan along with a nice pile of fried potatoes and a bottle of Merlot (yeah, I still drink Merlot).

MC

IKnowWood

MC

I must say, this last weekend we finally tried the crabcakes.  Finding fresh crab is hard.  Only on weekends. Once crabbing season starts up here there will be plenty.  We were out at the Chesapeake Bay last weekend near the Bay-Bridge-Tunnel and there were very few out there.  Still early.

anyway, we found some Alabama Fresh Crab, yeah, not Blue Crab.  Soon.

We did the recipe as is, except at the end.  Instead of finishing with rolling the cake in flour mix and fry or bake.  We Blackened them.  We let the egg infused cake sit for about 2 hours.  Then I got my blackening pan smoking outside, well oiled with Peanut Oil.  Course, I had to run at this time to roll the blackening.  The pan flamed up, fortunately it got taken care of by the family outside.

I rolled the cakes in a good even coating of Chez Pauls Redfish Blackening Seasoning.  Then to the pan they go for about six minutes of easy turning and moving around to evenly blacken the cakes.

I must say.  I am not a fan of Crabcakes, never got the bug.  At least till now.  These were amazing.  We will try some non-blackened to compare.  But these were some of the best eats... 

Thanks for sharing MC. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes