suckling pig

Started by KARENCOOKS, July 24, 2006, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KARENCOOKS

I'm going to be cooking a 25 lb dressed weight suckling pig. Using a weber gas grill fitted with a rotisserie, indirect heat, try to keep it about 250-275 degrees, any help on timing? never done one before. Any help greatly appreciated. (too bad it won't fit in the BS)  :(

Oldman

KARENCCOOKS,

I cannot help you with the times, but there is a trick you can do if you want a smoke flavoring with a gas grill.  Get a steel bread pan. Fill it with soaked wood chips. Cover with foil. Poke holes in the foil. Place the STEEL bread pan directly over the gas flames. That puppy will smoke on~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

KARENCOOKS

Thanks for that sugesstion, I was trying to figure out how to get a little smoke in there, that sound like a good way. At this point, unless I hear otherwise, I'm going with 15-20 min/lb and using the shoulder temp as the flag to take out and rest. I'll let you know how it goes.

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on July 24, 2006, 06:10:18 PM
KARENCCOOKS,

I cannot help you with the times, but there is a trick you can do if you want a smoke flavoring with a gas grill.  Get a steel bread pan. Fill it with soaked wood chips. Cover with foil. Poke holes in the foil. Place the STEEL bread pan directly over the gas flames. That puppy will smoke on~~!
Olds
Sorry I missed this post earlier.
Old's is right on with the smoking scheme. I did a 40 pounder not to long ago in my smoker at 230F and it took over 30 minutes a pound. Pulled the plug at 18 hours and let it sit for about three. Could have been it was still a little cold when it went in or because the bones were keeping it cool also. To much peeking didn't help either.
One thing is for sure, you are going to have a hard time keeping any lefovers. It pulled off the bone real nice and we kept throwing pieces of the skin in the deep fryer that was sitting next to the smoker. I think your going to be real close with your time and temp though. Hope you have a great time.