Recipe for LEM copy-cat Jerky

Started by Mark in Ottawa, June 18, 2013, 08:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark in Ottawa

Hi All,
I've done a few jerky runs now that I have the DBS and a dehydrator. I tried the HM jerky kit and hated it (way too salty and a weird flavour), then I tried the LEM original spice kit and loved it. Sadly, it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest TSC store to get a couple of packets which is costly and a pain in the butt.

Does anybody have a recipe that approximates the LEM? I have cure #1 and a ton of spices - I just would like to make my own jerky seasoning kit that roughly tastes like LEM (to me, it tastes like "real" jerky - like the bought stuff...only better!).

Thanks!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Sailor

Mark, I agree with you that LEM jerky mix is the best.  Personally I use the HOT LEM mix instead of the original.  I would also be interested if someone has cloned it.  I had been buying my mix at Gander Mt and it is 30 miles from me.  I hated to drive there only to find that they were out of the mix.  So to keep that from happening again I order directly from LEM and buy 4 -25 pound packs.  Yes I have to pay shipping but it sure cuts down on the wast of time of driving 30 miles to find out they don't have it.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Way better than LEM jerky

Hillbilly backwoods jerky

5 lb meat strips
2 T non iodized salt
1 t cure 1
1 t curry powder
1 t cayenne
1 t black pepper
2 T onion powder
1 cup soy sauce (you can use low sodium)
1 cup worcestershire
3 cups cold distilled water.

Mix all together and marinate strip from12-24 hours. Smoke or dehydrate your normal way.

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 18, 2013, 09:27:29 AM

5 lb meat strips
2 T non iodized salt
1 t cure 1
1 t curry powder
1 t cayenne
1 t black pepper
2 T onion powder
1 cup worcestershire

Mix all together and marinate strip from12-24 hours. Smoke or dehydrate your normal way.
Thanks for the recipe Rick!  If a guy was to use this on GB jerky would you just exclude the water as the soy sauce and worcestershire should have enough liquid to get it all mixed up.  The less water that I put in GB the less time I have to extract it when drying.  What are your thoughts?

I am planning to give this a try this weekend.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sailor on June 18, 2013, 09:33:03 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on June 18, 2013, 09:27:29 AM

5 lb meat strips
2 T non iodized salt
1 t cure 1
1 t curry powder
1 t cayenne
1 t black pepper
2 T onion powder
1 cup worcestershire

Thanks for the recipe Rick!  If a guy was to use this on GB jerky would you just exclude the water as the soy sauce and worcestershire should have enough liquid to get it all mixed up.  The less water that I put in GB the less time I have to extract it when drying.  What are your thoughts?

I am planning to give this a try this weekend.

If making GB jerky

Reduce the water to 1 T
Reduce the soy and worcy to 2 T ea

If the meat mix feels really dry and tacky add 1 T of water and remix. Taste and adjust if needed by adding more soy or worcy by tsp

KyNola

I have used that recipe and it is damn good.

SiFumar

Thanks for posting the recipe Rick!  Question for anyone...what is a decent curry powder? Since I haven't bought any in years( since no one but me likes it) I need a suggestion here..thanks!

glwood006

Hey Mark, where are you getting your cure #1 in Canada. I'm from down Windsor way and can't seem to source it.

Mark in Ottawa

Thanks for the recipe, Rick...I'll definitely give it a shot and report back.

Quote from: glwood006 on June 18, 2013, 06:16:06 PM
Hey Mark, where are you getting your cure #1 in Canada. I'm from down Windsor way and can't seem to source it.

I got mine at the YES! group in Toronto (mail order) - http://www.yesgroup.ca/main_site/index.htm but Malabar Spices also carries it and is Canadian http://www.malabarsuperspice.com/.

Hope that helps...

And thanks again, Rick!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Habanero Smoker

If you purchase your cure from Malabar, cure #1 goes by the name of Sure Cure on there site. They also have a Total Sure Cure, but that appears to be formulated only for wet brining.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

glwood006