• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cold Smoking with the BT1S1

Started by DonOtt, July 11, 2013, 09:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonOtt

Hey folks...

I want to try my hand at some off the charts spiced almonds this weekend. First step is to cold smoke.

For the cold smoking, is it as simple as just running the puck through with the temperature slider all the way to the left?

Cheers...Don

Jim O

Hey Don

There's a killer smoked almond recipe on the recipe site. I have it saved to my favorires but don't know how to transfer it here.

Mind you,it's not a cold smoke,but still a killer !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

DonOtt

Hey Jim...

I copied this one:

1 lb raw almonds
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tablespoon finely ground kosher salt or sea salt
2 tsp chile powder
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cold smoke almonds 2 to 3 hours (I did 2 hours oak, I think I will go with more next time)
Combine spices & oil then toss w almonds
spread on baking sheet and roast 10-15 minutes in preheated 375 degree oven, stirring several times, toss with more salt if needed

In the writeup on the recipe it says that you should grind the spices in a spice mill

Same?

Habanero Smoker

It is a similar recipe, with a few changes in the ingredient list.

Smoked Almond

To cold smoke you need to keep the cabinet temperature 90°F or lower. You can do this a few ways, but during the summer it is best to cold smoke either early morning hours, or after dusk (the cooler parts of the day).

The best way is to detach the generator from the cabinet, but you need to purchase or build your own cold smoke box. The below link take you to a site that shows how to build one out of a cardboard box.
Cardboard Cold Smoke Adapter

Cold Smoke Setup

Or you can leave the generator attached, and add ice to the cabinet, and if it still gets too hot you may have to crack the door.

If you have the digital model, you may have to extend your sensor cord or make a Bypast Plug.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DonOtt

Is the purpose of the cardboard setup because of too much heat being generated if the smoke generator was left attached to the cabinet?

TedEbear

Probably.  The SG puck burner can heat up the cook chamber to around 150*F, even if the main element is not turned on.

Habanero Smoker

As TedEbear pointed out, the bisquette burner will bring your cabinet to a temperature higher then you want for cold smoking. Cold smoking should be done below 90°F; 70°F - 90°F would be ideal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DonOtt

I didn't take the time to do the cardboard box method so I'm smoking with the door open a little. Temp is hovering around 90 so I think it will be okay....I hope so.