Pork butt time

Started by Doowop63, June 24, 2013, 11:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doowop63

I am going to smoke 4 butts approx. 6.5 lbs each for a Grad party. How long will it take in my Bradley smoker?

eldub

We did two, 7 lb. butts and two 7 lb. briskets last week and all four pieces spent between 18 and 19 hours in the Bradley.

The biggest butt went on the bottom rack, the smallest brisket on the top. The temp was set at 220*. Briskest came off at around 180* and the butts at 195*.

I'm guessing the four butts would take a bit longer to all finish. Don't forget to allow a few hours after coming out of the smoker to be wrapped in foil and towels placed in a cooler. (FTC)

beefmann

i just  did 14 lbs of brisket bacon that took 8 hours with 900 watts of heat to get to 170 F... with you  doing twice as much and im assuming with 500 watts  some where between 15 and 20 hours

Indy Smoker

When I do butts I do only 2 at a time - even if smoking 4 total.  They take between 24-26 hours for 2.  Always turn out great !!

Doowop63

Thanks for the replies, these will be for a party on the 6th so iI think I will do two at a time and then ftc.

eldub

I'm not sure what the drawback would be of doing all four at the same time.

beefmann

Quote from: eldub on June 25, 2013, 11:43:00 AM
I'm not sure what the drawback would be of doing all four at the same time.

just take longer... more meat load = longer time... though shorter time then doing one at a time

Snoopy

From what I've been reading here, I'd say smoke all 4 at the same time, once smoke is done split em up to the oven. Save ya a few pucks anyways.just my 2€

Ka Honu

Snoopy's got you covered on this one.  You can smoke four at once in an unmodified Bradley and finish in oven and crockpot.  See this thread.