Smoked copper river salmon

Started by pz, July 10, 2013, 09:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

Hi folks,
I just found these forums, and have found the discussions very informative!

Although I'm not new to smoking, this is the first time I've used the Bradley smoker (I'm using the 4-rack original).  Up to now, I've been using a Weber-style charcoal smoker, and one of my favorites, is actually a Big Chief, the interior of which is coated with rich mahogany varnish after over a decade of use.  In fact, I'm ashamed to say that I actually purchased the Bradley about 3 years ago and have not broken it out of the box until yesterday.   However, I sure am glad that I did!

This afternoon I smoked a couple of wild copper river salmon using 3 alder pucks and a homemade rub.  The rub consisted of smoked paprika, cayenne, thyme, cumin, and brown sugar.  To fill one of the empty racks, I added 8 chicken sausages I purchased from Costco.  Here are the meats loaded into the smoker
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=6088

The smoking only took about two hours to get to what I consider perfection (which to me is medium-rare).  Can't enjoy salmon without a good glass of wine!
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=6089

A closeup of the fish - unbelievably moist and tender, the rub giving it just the right balance of heat and sweet, this fish melted in my mouth. (Check out the right edge of the fish in the image to see how moist it is)
http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=6090
My online cookbook: good food & friends

devo

Nice fish and I am sure they tasted good. I would bet if you followed this for cook times you would like the looks of your salmon better with out all those boogers.
Smoke using the following Bradley Smoking guideline:
100°-120°F for 1-2 hours, then increase to
140° for 2-4 hours, then increase to
175° for 1-2 hours to finish

pz

Thanks for the tip devo; I'll give it a try - I'm always up for a new way to smoke meats  ;)

speed2486

Nice looking fish PZ.       Devo - Do you apply smoke during the entire duration with your method? - Speed

pz

Thanks speed; I'm actually looking more to do relatively rare dinner salmon, so I cook for  a short time; basically long enough to heat the fish through and bring the fat to the surface.

Most people seem not to like the "boogers" or salmon fat that rises to the top, but that is my indicator that the fish is done for me flesh flakes, but is still slippery to the tough and taste.  I actually like the flavor of the buttery fat, which to me is reminiscent of the fat in blue fin tuna belly (toro) sashimi, which literally melts in your mouth.  I guess it is an acquired taste though.

With that said, on this site I've seen pictures of the smoked salmon made using the recipe listed in devo's post above, and it looks much like the hard smoked salmon that I also dearly love.  As soon as I can get my Auber dual probe problems worked out, I'm anxious to try the method devo posted.