Wings and an idea

Started by Consooger, July 19, 2013, 09:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

Has anyone ever tried brining wings like a turkey breast? And if so what was the outcome? I'm sitting here gathering my thoughts on defending my wing trophy this year and brainstorming and I just thought of this?
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

tskeeter

Haven't done it, but the salt in the brine should enhance flavor and the water in the brine should help prevent the wings from drying out.  I'd give your idea a try.

Habanero Smoker

I haven't done it intentionally, but I bought 10 pounds of frozen wings from Sam's once, and didn't noticed until I got home that they were already brined. With that much skin to surface ratio, I found that the time I smoke/cooked wings brined wings in the Bradley, if you don't cook them at very high temperatures, the wings tend to steam cook. I would use a cooking method where you can utilize a high heat source.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

I've brined wings with good results on grill or in oven - haven't tried in smoker.

iceman

I've brined and smoked them........ But we finish them in the big easy or deep fry them to get the skin crispy again.

Pachanga

I always soak them in buttermilk for 24 hours.  The buttermilk gives them a golden color and crisp skin when fried.  The interior  is juicy and tender.

Pachanga