Spatchcocked Turkey's

Started by Saber 4, July 27, 2013, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I've got two twelve pounders split out and coming to room temp before putting in at 230 for a 4 hour hickory smoke, I'm planning to keep them in until done. I figure I need to rotate the racks during the cook front to back and top to bottom, but this it the first time I've done this much at one time so I could use some input on how long between rotations and preferred rotations. Also do I rotate during the smoke or wait till it's done? The turkey's were brined at the plant so I didn't add any more brine to it.

Saber 4

They're in at 230 after heating box to 250 and using boiling water in the puck bowl, I'll swap it out after the smoke with a cake pan of boiling water. I was able to get both halves of each bird on one doubled up rack each so rotating should be easier. I had to go with the second rack from the bottom and the top rack.

OldHickory

The smoke and total cook in the Bradley will take a long time.  I have done a spatched turkey  in the Bradley with cook and smoke ( hickory ) of 4 hrs and finished in my SRG on low.  It was moist and perfect for my taste.  Skin was crisp.  I hope you do pics, I will look forward to your post.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Saber 4

I'll definitely do pictures, I may pull to oven at some point, I haven't decided. Of course that's one of the benefits of the Bradley. for the skin I may use the grill for a few minutes to crisp up.

KyNola

Just an observation from my perspective(which is worthless but free of charge). 4 hours of smoke on poultry is a lot of smoke.  Poultry is like a sponge magnet.

That being said, drive on.  Will look forward to your finished product.

Saber 4

That's what I thought to, I was going to do 2 of pecan and SWMBO said that wasn't enough smoke so I went 4 with hickory to give her what she's asked for. Would you rotate racks?

Saber 4

Ok, here's some pictures and a status update.

Here they are cut up and ready for seasoning

Here they are getting ready to come out of the smoker at an IT of 151 after 6 1/2 hours and into a 350 oven to finish,

I'll post the finals tomorrow after we feast on it.

Roget

Those look great!

I have done whole turkey and spatchcocked chicken, but never spatched turkey.
Probably the way to go.

I too am anxious to hear how the 4 hours of hickory tastes. I used 2 hours of pecan on my turkeys both times & they could have maybe used a little more smoke taste.

Having said that, I don't personally care for a strong smoke taste on my poultry like I do on my pork or beef, (especially my brisket)
YCDBSOYA

Saber 4

Quote from: Roget on July 28, 2013, 01:29:55 PM
Those look great!

I have done whole turkey and spatchcocked chicken, but never spatched turkey.
Probably the way to go.

I too am anxious to hear how the 4 hours of hickory tastes. I used 2 hours of pecan on my turkeys both times & they could have maybe used a little more smoke taste.

Having said that, I don't personally care for a strong smoke taste on my poultry like I do on my pork or beef, (especially my brisket)

We loved the 4 hours of hickory, my wife even said it could have used more smoke for her, but we like a lot of smoke and I've always liked a strong smoked turkey. I think I would do 2 hours of pecan on chicken when I get around to trying chicken.

I definitely think the spatchcocking is the way to go with turkey.

Saber 4

Here is the finished product after being pulled from the oven at an IT of 174 and tenting for an hour

It sliced up nice and moist and had a good hickory flavor, we had sandwiches for lunch on some sourdough bread

Everything packaged up, I split off the breasts, thighs, wings and legs from one turkey and Ziploc bagged them for sandwiches and meals and then I vac sealed the other two halves to freeze for later meals.

Roget

Those are beautiful!

That's a lot of smoke. (but it looks good)
I love the coloring.

I may try more smoke next time I do turkey.
YCDBSOYA

rveal23

Wow, these looked like they turned out great! Congrats and enjoy your meals!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pz

Dang, I'd like to have been at your place for dinner, Saber!
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

You've got about an hour to get here pz, we had to skip the turkey last night and go out with friends to dinner so tonight's menu is smoked turkey thigh's with fresh spinach and home made scalloped potatoes. ;D