• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My new smokehouse

Started by Roget, July 27, 2013, 01:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

This is my new smokehouse

Only used it one time so far, & I see a small problem:
I attached the vent pipe with duct tape & I suppose the heat caused it to come loose & actually fall completely off. (after the smoke was finished.)

Need some suggestions on how to attach (& seal) the vent pipe to the Bradey.
I am using a solid aluminum 4" pipe & a flexible dryer hose.
YCDBSOYA

Saber 4

Looks like it'll work great for you, as for the smoke stack, you might check your hardware store of choice for a through the roof covered stack and seal it with outdoor caulk when you install it.

Roget

I really don't want  to cut a hole in the shed as running it out the front works pretty well, but I may have to do that.

I would rather just find a good way to fasten the stack to the top of the Bradley.
YCDBSOYA

devo

Use more duct tape....the good stuff. The cheap stuff don't hold nothing.

beefmann

GusRobin

get a hvac vent collar and screw it into the top the the Bradley and then attach your pipe. You may be able to get one the fits thru the vent hole from the inside.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Indy Smoker

Holy Cow!
Are you running that vent pipe clear over to the neighbors house to drive them crazy or what ?? :)
My concern with that length of pipe (hold the remarks) is the smoke will cool and condensation will occur and based on the angle may drip back into the smoker causing bigger issues for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyNola

Yep, I would be concerned about condensation forming.

Saber 4

Quote from: Indy Smoker on July 28, 2013, 08:10:41 AM
Holy Cow!
Are you running that vent pipe clear over to the neighbors house to drive them crazy or what ?? :)
My concern with that length of pipe (hold the remarks) is the smoke will cool and condensation will occur and based on the angle may drip back into the smoker causing bigger issues for you.
Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to agree with Indy and KyNola I have seen problems with wood burning stoves that had to much pipe at an angle that didn't create a good air flow for the smoke to escape and it did cool enough to create enough condensation to put out the fire when the coals got low.

Roget

Had not thought about the condensation issue.

Like I said, I have only used it once & didn't notice anything, but definitely will keep an eye on it.

Do you think I will I have the same issue if I go out the side of the shed (with a 90 degree angle)?

Or will I need to go straight up from the smoker vent and out the top of the shed.
I really hate to cut a hole in the top of the shed due to the possibility of leaks.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
YCDBSOYA

Saber 4

I would suggest going straight out the top with a covered vent, with wood burning stoves the more bends and longer runs are what get you into trouble, but of course that's just my opinion for what it's worth.

devo

One cold smoker box that you can not see and two smokers joined at the top venting out the back wall. Works for me. Pipes are ducked taped down to the smokers...remember the good stuff. Pipe never moved or come lose. Worked for me so far and this is the second year.

Saber 4

Devo that is one serious setup you got there, very nice.

Roget

Thanks fellas.

Devo, if I go out the side wall I would basically have the same setup you have on your big smoker ( the one on the left)
I would have a little sharper bend.

So you haven't had any problem with condensation?
YCDBSOYA

cathouse willy

I have my obs setup in a similar but smaller cabinet. After fretting over a hole in the roof of my new smokehouse I decided to try it with no holes just vent the smoker into the cabinet and leave the doors open a crack.It works fine though the cabinet smells smokey, but that's ok.