Wanted to say thanks

Started by matchu77, June 30, 2006, 05:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matchu77

Wanted to say hello and thanks. I am new to the BS and to the forum thing. Used the BS a few times and struggled a bit because I thought I wasnt getting enough heat due to the low light on the button and door thermometer being off by about 20-30 degrees, which led me to overheat my jerky and burn it. So I read the forums a bit and purchased the Maverick Thermometer which is great. Yesterday I made spare ribs from the recipe cards with the chips. Was'nt happy about pre-cooking like it said but followed it . then 220in smoker for 4hrs with 2-3 hrs smoke(hickory). The ribs were rubbed prior to cooking. Brushed a little sauce at the 3hr mark. They came out good, but not really tender. While on the forums last night I read about wrapping in foil and cooking for 2hr at the end, so today I took the leftovers and wrapped them, into 220 oven for 2hrs. Wow, what a difference ! They fell off the bone, the crust was still there and they were awesome ! Thanks guys and gals for the info and keeping me motivated. Its very frustrating when you anticipate greatnessand get ok. But with your help It turned them great. will follow the recipes and tips here before any smoke. Sorry for the long post but needed to share.        Matt

Arcs_n_Sparks

matchu77,

Welcome to the forum. Yeah, my first stuff was not perfection, but I have resigned myself to having to experiment for the next 20 years while drinking adult beverages to get it right.  8)

Of course, that is part of the fun; refining what works and sharing with the crowd here. My secret is that I built a PID temperature controller, but have convinced the wife that I have to constantly check on the temperature (and my refrigerator) during the smoking process.  :D

Looking forward to your posts.....

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

Greetings Matt and welcome to the forums.

Glad things are working out for you.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Matt throw that recipe card away ;D.  Your ribs can be done in the smoker from start to finish.  Welcome aboard.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

manxman

QuoteMatt throw that recipe card away .  Your ribs can be done in the smoker from start to finish.

Welcome to the forum Matt, really good advice here from BigSmoker.
Manxman