900 watt element install on a DBS

Started by JohnM70, August 06, 2013, 02:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

Hi all, I successfully got my Auber PID working and what a difference it makes. I decided to install a 900 Watt element. I purchase it from Grainger's last week and it arrived Monday (I failed to notice that there is a Grainger 7 miles from me, that worked out to a $1.00 a mile shipping...O well.) :-[

I have a DBS and all the information for installation that I could find referred to the OBS. Before I turn it on I am thinking the white and red attached like the 500 watt element and the yellow/green is a ground and attaches to the frame and the receptacle. ??? The OBS shows 2 wires on one end of the element and 1 wire on the other end.
So far it seems like a simple fix, but I know nature sides with the hidden flaw.
Also, wires that attach to the element seem very small, I trust they can take the additional wattage.

Just want to be sure I am on the right track.

Thanks,
John

Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

rveal23

I haven't made this mod yet, but am planning to. Want to see what the experts say.

JohnM70, what Model 900 watt did you get?
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

tskeeter

John, I think you're OK with the wiring.  One of the approaches to the dual element mod gets power to the new element by piggy backing on the wiring to the original element.  Seems to have worked for that forum member without any problems for some time.  If the Bradley wiring can handle the 1,000 watts for the dual element mod, I'd think it would be fine for your 900 watt element mod.

JohnM70

Reveal23.

TEMPCO Heater, 120V, 12 In. L, 1200 Deg F Mfr. Model #CSF00131

Tskeeter

Thanks I just did not think through it.

Time to drill some holes.

John 
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

beefmann

have my 900 watt  mod for  7 years and no  problems

JohnM70

Thanks for the encouragement Beefmann. It is interesting that the insides of the DBS are a little different from the OBS. But I believe the differences are because of the digital. I do not remember seeing the foam insulation on the OBS pictures, but, then again I may not remember. Based on what I read I cut the stand offs to accommodate the distance from the back of the oven to the fins on the 900W. I should have measured first, but now I must spend .60 cents to use the 1" standoffs. Everything looks good so I will fire it up tomorrow (bad choice of words). I will let you all know what happens.

John

Indy Smoker

I have a DBS and did the Grainger 900 watt element upgrade. I fabricated some connectors from sheet metal for connecting to the Bradley itself using the same porcelain  - there is a post with the exact dimensions. Then I attached the original wires from the orig element to the new 900 watt powerhouse. It was a fairly easy mod.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

JohnM70

Well I finished my 900 Watt modification. I put 3 steel plates wrapped in foil for heat sinks, water in the bowel. It took 17 minutes to reach 225F (starting at 78F). It overshot to 238F then came down to 225 and maintained that temperature +10F -5F. I then opened the door until the temperature dropped to 195F, it took 4 minutes to get to 225 but then got to 241F before coming back to 225.
It does not take long to return to the set temp after the over shoot. This is going to make smoking in the Fall and Winter much better. ;D

I am going to test the 'd' parameter to see if it will respond faster to the overshoot.

Many thanks for all your help.

John

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

JohnM70

OK picture

I had a few issues mostly BF's  ::)

I am going to e-mail Suyi and ask about the overshoot of the temperature. It is not a big deal because it does correct quickly. It is just that it gets to 140F(+-)  and does not fall very much from 225. It is just a curiosity. I am just happy to see the it perform it's task.

The only parts I had left over were from the 500W element!  8)

John

rveal23

Sweet! I so got to get my mods started.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

JohnM70

Update on 900 Watt upgrade.

I e-mailed Suyi about my issue of the overshoot and his suggestion was the try lowering the D parameter to between 30 and 40. With that advice I started at 50 so I could track the change. Well I hit it the first time. The overshoot was about 5 degrees +- 1F. It stayed that way through the entire cooking process.
I prepared an 11lbs brisket and it came out perfect, IMHO. :D See the write-up in smoking posts.
The Auber PID and the 900W upgrade turn the BDS into a entirely new product. BTW I am sure the additional 500W element would work equally as well. The 900W seemed easier for me. Yes. The cost of my smoker increased but, over time it will pay for itself. The way I want to smoke maybe buy the end of the year. ;D
Not to diminish the BDS but had I done more research I may have purchased the OBS just from the cost stand point. I am very happy with my BDS.
John 

Cowbell

Quote from: JohnM70 on August 07, 2013, 03:53:42 PM
OK picture

I had a few issues mostly BF's  ::)

I am going to e-mail Suyi and ask about the overshoot of the temperature. It is not a big deal because it does correct quickly. It is just that it gets to 140F(+-)  and does not fall very much from 225. It is just a curiosity. I am just happy to see the it perform it's task.

The only parts I had left over were from the 500W element!  8)

John

Hello, and thanks for the picture and updates.  Is there a list you can provide the novice fabricator to upgrade to the 900 W Fin Element?  I would love to do this to mine!!!  I appreciate it.