• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Favorite sauce for Pulled Pork?

Started by Jimbo, May 23, 2006, 10:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asa

Quote from: BigSmoker on May 31, 2006, 07:22:31 PM
MW you just have never had a good vinegar sauce is all.  You want something really good try a mustard based sauce for the pulled pork.  It is sho nuf good :P.

I agree. That would be like a Georgia-style sauce. I've worked one out based on Ms. Dull's cookbook entries. Do you have a favorite recipe for this style of sauce BigSmoker??
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

asa

Well MW, I found SBR's at our neighborhood market in 3 different blends - regular, hot, and honey-something. Tried the regular and both the Ms. and I liked it a lot on our ribs tonight. Good flavor and balance. Thanks for the tip.

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

MallardWacker

MW you just have never had a good vinegar sauce is all.  You want something really good try a mustard based sauce for the pulled pork.  It is sho nuf good :P.

Large of Smoke and ASA...

You may be right on that...but I still the only guy on the table that doesn't like that freek'n SLAW on their pulled pork sandvich....I was on the other side of Memphis a couple weeks ago and stopped at a place called Brad's BBQ, got the ribs...S/L style and it had this brown sauce, not sure I could classify it...It definitely had a vineger bite to it, it wasn't bad nor it wasn't real good either, the ribs were CHEWY but the the price was good, full rack, honk'n Pile-O-Onion Rings and so so beans...with good tea for 20.00...tax and all.

Quote3 different blends - regular, hot, and honey-something

WOW...Maybe I'll go to Kroger and see what they have...

But I would like to try some good vinegar based stuff.

Have a great weekend...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

asa

Quote from: MallardWacker on June 03, 2006, 06:03:54 AM
QuoteWOW...Maybe I'll go to Kroger and see what they have...

Check out the SBR website. They list their retailers by state. That's how I found mine here so quickly.

You have a smokin' weekend too . . . . .
     And

BigSmoker

Quote from: asa on May 31, 2006, 07:38:56 PM

I agree. That would be like a Georgia-style sauce. I've worked one out based on Ms. Dull's cookbook entries. Do you have a favorite recipe for this style of sauce BigSmoker??

If you have Paul Kirks Championship BBQ book it has vinegar and mustard based sauces.  Its a great book I use for reference all the time. 

MW,
I love slaw on my pulled pork sammiches.  Just hard to beat like boiled peanuts and grits with butter :P.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Arcs_n_Sparks

MW,
I love slaw on my pulled pork sammiches.  Just hard to beat like boiled peanuts and grits with butter :P.
[/quote]

Never did get the hang of boiled peanuts. Kind of like tanned joint compound. ;D

MallardWacker

Quote from: arcs_n_sparks on June 03, 2006, 06:46:39 PM

Never did get the hang of boiled peanuts. Kind of like tanned joint compound. ;D

Wrap your hands around these gnarly things.....

I can see that this thread is derogating fast....boiled peanuts....can I use it again...caauyaffff

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

asa

Sorry, those Roddenbery's can't be authentic. Accept nothing other than boiled (pronounciation = "balled") peanuts, in a brown paper bag, with dark stains, rolled up and held closed with a rubber band that originally came around someone's newspaper.
     And

BigSmoker

Quote from: asa on June 04, 2006, 05:02:04 PM
Sorry, those Roddenbery's can't be authentic. Accept nothing other than boiled (pronounciation = "balled") peanuts, in a brown paper bag, with dark stains, rolled up and held closed with a rubber band that originally came around someone's newspaper.

Exactly ;D. 
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

One of my favorite sauces on pulled pork is one that BigSmoker told me about.  The reason I like it so much is that it is incredibly simple:  2 parts ketchup + 1 part apple cider vinegar + coarse pepper to taste.  When I'm feeling really energetic I add a little bourbon to it, making sure that the bourbon passes my own personal taste test first, of course . . . I'm also a fan of slaw on my pulled pork sammiches!
John
Newton MA