My First Ham

Started by pjplovedog, August 16, 2013, 12:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

Hi all,
This is my first time trying to post a photo so bear with me if it doesn't work exactly ....
This was my first ham that I cured and smoked in my Bradley.  I followed the recipe in the book "Charcuterie" exactly and then applied about 4 hours of smoke, cooked to the internal temp was just right.  It was delicious!  The glaze is a light brushing of a bourbon mustard/marmalade/brown sugar glaze at the very end. It looks dark but it wasn't over, it was nice and juicy and delicious! 
Here goes with the picture (crossed fingers here)

rveal23

pjplovedog, that looks amazing.. Congrats!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

Skishy

That looks very good! I think I need to start my practice smoked holiday ham now.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

pjplovedog

Quote from: Skishy on August 16, 2013, 02:20:25 PM
That looks very good! I think I need to start my practice smoked holiday ham now.
:)
It was really quite easy, it just required a long brine time but otherwise was a no-brainer.  I had to call around to get my hands on the fresh ham, and then I had to trim and skin it, and remove the chine bone. 
I guess I could've asked the butcher to do it but I read conflicting reviews on having them do it right, so I just considered it a learning process.   I'll never buy a grocery store ham again after this one.  I'm ruined! ;D

Tenpoint5

Great looking Ham! I have to start looking around for a Ham for Christmas myself.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

beefmann

im  just waiting  for a good  price,,, might have to  buy the whole leg at  $ 0.99 a lb

Tenpoint5

Quote from: beefmann on August 16, 2013, 05:21:51 PM
im  just waiting  for a good  price,,, might have to  buy the whole leg at  $ 0.99 a lb

Beefman just buy a picnic skin it and make a picnic ham out of it. They are popular around here. Well they were until the packing house left town.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

The ham looks delicious!  Top quality picture, too.

Saber 4

That ham looks delicious, I wonder how it would turn out with some wild hog leg?

KyNola

Dang!  That looks awesome.

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pjplovedog on August 16, 2013, 03:08:42 PM
Quote from: Skishy on August 16, 2013, 02:20:25 PM
:)
It was really quite easy, it just required a long brine time but otherwise was a no-brainer.  I had to call around to get my hands on the fresh ham, and then I had to trim and skin it, and remove the chine bone. 
I guess I could've asked the butcher to do it but I read conflicting reviews on having them do it right, so I just considered it a learning process.   I'll never buy a grocery store ham again after this one.  I'm ruined! ;D

Nice looking ham. I've never tried ham recipe in "Charcuterie", though the glaze always interested me. 

I believe you mean the aitch bone. If so click on the link below, and read the instructions #2 under "Deboning A Whole Ham" on how to remove that bone.
Hamzilla

Here is another ham recipe:
Smoked Cured Ham

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pjplovedog

Nice looking ham. I've never tried ham recipe in "Charcuterie", though the glaze always interested me. 

I believe you mean the aitch bone. If so click on the link below, and read the instructions #2 under "Deboning A Whole Ham" on how to remove that bone.
Hamzilla

Here is another ham recipe:
Smoked Cured Ham
[/quote]

Yes, you are right I meant the aitch bone. Thanks for the instructions.... I found information on that before I did it but these look better!  It took a little time, but was worth it.  I used a glaze that I had used on numerous other occasions because my family really likes the flavor.   But I am intrigued by the one in the book, also. 

SiFumar