Brats, sticks and Krautwurst

Started by ragweed, August 23, 2013, 05:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Left the two rack alone this week in favor of making some sausage.  I was hungry for some brats, my wife said, "Could you make me some snack sticks?" and my sister's family was ready for their monthly Krautwurst fix.

The brats somewhat followed a recipe by SAM3 and used 5 lbs P. butt, 2 1/2 lbs deer and high temp cheddar.

Another of SAM3's recipes was modified to make 5 lbs of 85/15 beef sticks.

Len Poli's 5 lb. Krautwurst recipe had shredded swiss added this time.

Now, I can get back to playing with the two rack.  Maybe a batch of fat chicken breasts thoroughly covered in a fresh batch of Jan's rub. (made that too)

NePaSmoKer

All looking good. I gotta get back to sausage making some day

Saber 4

Joe,

You sure are making some pretty sausages, I've got a couple of butts in the freezer waiting for a break to make my first run at stuffed sausage.

SiFumar

Looks good!  Been waiting for some cooler weather to get back in sausage making.

cobra6223

Tenpoint5

Sausage looks really good Joe.  I need to get back to the sausage thing myself. The Smoke Out put a hurting on the sausage vault!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Kevin A

Quote from: SiFumar on August 24, 2013, 07:29:14 PM
Looks good!  Been waiting for some cooler weather to get back in sausage making.
Those do look REAL good!
I've been so busy with work this summer that I've not made ANY sausages since...early April!  :o
Fall is coming & i'm hoping to get back into the sausage swing-of-things!
Hope I remember how to!

Kevin

pz

Looks delicious! Definitely planning to sausages one of these days.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Skishy

Quote from: pz on August 26, 2013, 07:44:59 PM
Looks delicious! Definitely planning to sausages one of these days.

It's very easy to make. If you make it to Spokane frequently. I would suggest going to Spokane Spice, that is where I got my spice mix for making german sausage that is pretty solid. I prefer them over Cabelas because they can actually help guide you to deciding your spice mix. Plus they hold bacon and sausage making classes and they sell Bradley bisquettes.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

pz

Thanks for the tip  ;)

Speaking of Spokane, have you visited Sonnenberg's?

Skishy

Yes it's also a great place to go. Its the first place that I found that actually carries Pork belly for making traditional bacon, though I found no matter where you buy pork belly around here it typically will come frozen. The neighborhood is questionable. Though it is in the same general area as Spokane Spice. If you are interested in making your own traditional bacon, I have found it at URM close to GU, in the frozen section. Oh, also when doing your own bacon most of the time the pork belly will have skin on, so you will want to make sure to trim that top layer off. I remember seeing a video that I think 10.5 posted on here about how to take that top layer of skin off.

I talk up spokane spice so much but they are really my go to place for anything when it comes to smoking and/or sausage making. They even took the time to go over different casing sizes with me so that way I could find the right size of casing to do summer sausage this past holiday season that would hang in the bradley without any problems.

2 - 4 rack OBS

pz

Dang, sounds like you know the best places in Spokane!  I don't get out as often as I would like (too much to do, too little contiguous time).  It was one of my colleagues that directed me to Sonnenberg's, and the prices are really good compared to what we get locally - the last time I purchased boneless ribeye for $3.99 and New York Strip for $2.99 - can't go wrong with that.  At those prices I could grind up New York strip for cheaper than I can purchase burger at Fred Meyer!

Dry aged a couple not too long ago, and they were the best melt-in-your-mouth steaks we'd had in a very long time.

Skishy

I do understand life seems to get in the way of hobbies. Which my manager says he has a hunting habit that work supports, I want to tell him that I have a bbq and meat habit that work supports. Anyways, yeah, Sonnenbergs is a good place to go. However, I don't make it there as often as I probably could. Mostly because of their low prices, it can all of a sudden get busy and have there be a line. Though with some of those prices, I may have to try and make the effort to go there.

2 - 4 rack OBS