I'm from Tennessee ...

Started by jb, August 24, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

Quote from: GusRobin on August 25, 2013, 03:07:48 PM
where is TN you from?

Knoxville. I see you're from Madison- I've heard that the Huntsville area is a nice place to live. I lived in Montgomery for a year and I'm in no hurry to return! It did give me a good wife, though, so not all bad.

Saber 4

You might pick up some disposable 9x13 cake pans to use for your hot water or apple juice after the smoke is done, it will help keep you from having to open the door so often to check the water level. I usually fill my puck bowl with more than the half that the manual says and find that with 4-5 hours of smoke I have never run out of water or had the pucks make the water over flow. I usually check about half way through the smoke to make sure the pucks haven't piled up at the end of the bowl so the next one can't fall into the water, I use a putty knife to knock them down or spread them around in the water.

jb

Thanks Saber.

Well, it's 9:15, the roast has been on for 11.5 hrs and the IT is 190. I'm going to leave it in until IT is 195, pull it, and FTC for about an hour. I'll get some pics.

Saber 4

You should be in the money then, looking forward to the pictures

TedEbear

Quote from: jb on August 25, 2013, 06:15:12 PM
Thanks Saber.

Well, it's 9:15, the roast has been on for 11.5 hrs and the IT is 190. I'm going to leave it in until IT is 195, pull it, and FTC for about an hour. I'll get some pics.

Looks like my estimate earlier this morning of 1.5-2 hours per lb was spot on.  Waiting for the pic of the finished product.

jb

Ok... long day has come to a glorious pulled pork ending. After about 11.5 hours, I did FTC for 1 hour and began eating  :D Here's a couple of pics:

If you click on the image, you'll see a bigger copy of the picture. I put a few pieces of the bark in the upper right hand corner of the 2nd pic. What do I do with that stuff? Chop it and distribute it?

Anyway, thanks to all! I probably shouldn't, but next up is ribs since that's the raison d'ĂȘtre of my smoker  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Chopped the bark up and mix it in well with the rest of the pork. I generally will shave the bark off and put it off to the side prior to pulling. The I will chop the bark up, and mix it in with the pork. If I'm doing one butt, I will chop by hand. If doing multiple butts I will put the bark in a food processor and pulse it a few times until the bark is chopped to where I like it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Looks good, I agree with Habs about adding the bark I always shred my bark with the pulled pork, so far after FTC it's shredded as easily as the rest of the shoulder.

tskeeter

jb, not sure what you did during your smoke, but you talked about pulling the pork, then FTC.  I believe most folks do it the other way around.  FTC, then pull.  Doing the FTC before pulling allows the center of the meat to come up a few degrees in temp, the juices to redistribute a bit (and absorb any liquid you might have added to the foil when you wrapped the shoulder), and then the pork to cool down a little so it's not too hot to handle.

jb

Quote from: tskeeter on August 26, 2013, 09:07:23 AM
jb, not sure what you did during your smoke, but you talked about pulling the pork, then FTC.  I believe most folks do it the other way around.  FTC, then pull.  Doing the FTC before pulling allows the center of the meat to come up a few degrees in temp, the juices to redistribute a bit (and absorb any liquid you might have added to the foil when you wrapped the shoulder), and then the pork to cool down a little so it's not too hot to handle.

I did FTC first, then pulled!