Question for the Forum

Started by MoHuka, August 25, 2013, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHuka

History...I purchased a digital 6-rack and soon thereafter added a 2nd element and an Auber dual probe.  I reset the P to 140 as recommended on this forum and it worked pretty good with the exception of the oven temps on PID and Maverick 732 were 7 degrees different..so I messed around with off-sets and got them pretty close...food temps have always been pretty close.

So then I decided I should auto-tune and after that I started having the problems as experienced in yesterday's BB Rib cook.  Set PID for 230 degrees and 8 hours.  Both PID and Maverick tracked within 5 degrees for a couple of hours then the Maverick would indicate 260 degrees and the PID would be giving erratic readings in the 150 to 170 degree range...after some time the PID would stabilize and climb to 230 and the Maverick would slowly come down but always stop considerably higher than the PID.

After the first time this happened I did another auto-tune followed by same problems so called Auber and the tech said to put P back to 140 as auto-tune had changed it to 68 and put all other parameters at factory default.  I did that and still experienced the same problem as described above.

Wanted to ask if I am putting the probes in the correct location which is on the bottom of the lowest rack which puts them just above the heat shield.  I put them on the right side near the front as I think I understood from the forum this is the correct place

So am I putting the probes in the right place or do I have other problems?  I hope to advance into sausage making but afraid I am not controlling the temps well enough for that

Thanks for any help

BTW when I went to foil the ribs yesterday after 3 hours they were looking close to done which makes me think the Maverick high temps indication may be right??  In the end the 3-2-1 method gave me drier that expected ribs..
MoSmoker

GusRobin

Maybe your probes are bad? Try testing them in either boiling water (212* F) or ice water (32*) but don't get the probe wet where the wire and probe connect.
Also, not sure the change in "P" would make the probes read a different temp, I would assume that it is more for determining how the unit cycles the elements to control a tight temp swing. But that is just my opinion and according to my wife I have been known to be wrong now and then.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

Quote from: GusRobin on August 25, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
Maybe your probes are bad? Try testing them in either boiling water (212* F) or ice water (32*) but don't get the probe wet where the wire and probe connect.
Also, not sure the change in "P" would make the probes read a different temp, I would assume that it is more for determining how the unit cycles the elements to control a tight temp swing. But that is just my opinion and according to my wife I have been known to be wrong now and then.

I would add that the probes may have gotten some moisture in them and need a quick dry out in a 350 oven, I've had that happen before.

MoHuka

Thanks Gus and Saber for the responses....still curious if I am putting the probes in the correct place in the oven?

MoSmoker

beefmann