• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help for Brisket

Started by msd130, August 31, 2013, 02:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msd130

Doing a 8 lb brisket ..... how many hours on average do you think for this size piece?  ::) MIKE

beefmann

1 to 1 1/2 hr lb. though  go by  temp... 190 it to 195

Saber 4

jjmoney

Look up Pachanga's biblical posts on brisket.

Rub and slather it up the night before you plan to eat it, and leave it in overnight. Babysit the next day or just finish it in an oven. I'm not (yet, anyway) convinced that doing the entire cook in the Bradley is necessary. I've had oven-finished briskets with full, hard bark that gush juice when cut. Really when you think about it, the Bradley is an underpowered oven with a smoke attachment. Smoke it as much as you like and then you can wrap it in foil and all that jazz - or just put it in a dutch oven/roaster and seal the lid with parchment paper and foil (I don't like foil, so I use a layer of parchment instead of just foil), which will be easier to clean up. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me. Mind you, I freely admit that I am a rank neophyte compared to the illuminati on here when it comes to smoking brisket.

Find what works and roll with it!

msd130

Thanx Guys ..... Its been in the smoker for 2 hrs already. Will let you knoe how I did  :D

Pachanga

There are many variables to time.  Size and shape of the meat, fat content, internal temperature (IT) of the meat when started, temperature of the Bradley, Bradley setup (number of elements, foil shield or fan), total meat load if more than one piece of meat, initial temperature of Bradley along with components such as water, water temp at the beginning, bricks or other meat, vent opening, rack location, number of door openings and duration, temperature of water refills, how large of a water container, ambient temperature, wind chill factor, mopping (temperature, components and number of mops) and of course oven temperature setting and adjustments during the smoke. These are just a few variables off the top of my feeble brain; there are many more.  Time can vary greatly and is most unreliable.

Assuming:

Large water container (half steam table pan) filled and refilled with boiling water
Oven temp at 220 degrees
Compact brisket with reasonable flat thickness
Beginning IT of brisket - 55 degrees
Smoking for 6 hours (the burn will decrease the beginning temp drop of the Bradley) 
Additionally, stopping the smoke generator after the pucks are finished will also increase cooking time (another variable)
Ambient temperature at 90 degrees
mustard slather at the beginning with two hot mops toward end
one water refill
totally naked
second shelf
foil shield forcing heat to middle
single element

I would have no idea ****** but a guess would be 9 to 12 hours 

Pretty close to Saber 4 calculations. 

Remember that it is easier to slow things down as opposed to speeding the process up.  If things are moving too fast, move to the third shelf for a while or mop with a cool water based mop a couple of extra times.

If you are trying to hit a certain serving time - forget it.  Start early and FTC (heavy on the Towels) for a few hours until the party starts.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

Moving the meat to a kitchen oven is useful, and I have done it on a very few occasions. If you cook totally naked (no foiling) I do find a difference in taste from brisket or butts that have been fully cooked in the Bradley or started in the Bradley and moved to the oven. I find the juices from the meat hitting the drip tray and vaporizing adds additional complex flavors to the meat. If you foil the meat, then it wouldn't make a difference.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)