• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Jerky Questions

Started by Saber 4, September 03, 2013, 07:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I have an eye of round roast and a bottom round roast to slice up and marinate for jerky, my questions are for you guy's that have talked about smoking the jerky in the Bradley and finishing in a dehydrator.

1. How long do you smoke your jerky?
2. At what temp do you smoke your jerky?
3. What temp do you set your dehydrator at?
4. What time frame am I looking at in the dehydrator? I know there are many variables just looking for a rough ball park figure.
5. Once you slice the roasts do you cut the pieces into smaller pieces for easier drying or leave them as large as possible?
6. Has anyone tried mixing the marinade and meat well and then vacuum sealing for the marinating period?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I had some issues trying to dry some fruit and tomato last night and I want to get the jerky right with meat as expensive as it is these days. Thanks for all your help :)

jjmoney

1. 1.5-3 hours depending how you like it and how dry it is when it hits the smoker.
2. 170ish
3. 165 (max)
4. Several hours
5. I leave them big and cut them with scissors when I take them out and they are still hot.
6. No, that shouldn't really be necessary. The meat is thin enough that it should take a marinade pretty well.

Tenpoint5

I set the temp at 155 or 160 and it takes about 8-12 hours. With the recipes I use I don't use smoke on the jerky. I just pull it out of the bag and lay it on the racks wet
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

devo

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 04, 2013, 08:15:26 AM
I set the temp at 155 or 160 and it takes about 8-12 hours. With the recipes I use I don't use smoke on the jerky. I just pull it out of the bag and lay it on the racks wet

Very similar to what Tenpoint does but I smoke mine for two hours. At 150F and no dehydrator. Now that being said your dehydrator will not finish any sooner at those temps.

RAF128

I've done jerky in the smoker and in a dehydrator.    I use the smoker for whole muscle meat.    4 - 5 hours and it's done.   Smoke for 2 -3 hours is usually enough.   Tried 200 degrees but the edges get done first so IMO 170 should be good.   
For ground meat I prefer the dehydrator.    It has smaller screens.   I add the spices and liquid smoke.   My unit goes up to 140 and it's done in about 4 hours.   Think it's the fan that dries the meat faster.   
I tried smoking in the smoker first and finishing in the dehydrator once.   Never heard the end of that from the boss.   She was not impressed.    Filled the house with smoke smell that lasted several days and it wasn't pleasant.   

Saber 4

So it seems for the most part the best way to do it is either in the smoker all the way or in the dehydrator all the way, but it's probably not a good idea to bring smoked jerky into the dehydrator that is living on the dryer and fill the house with smoke smell. I think I have enough to try again in the smoker and try a first run of jerky in the dehydrator, although I may just fill all 10 racks of the dehydrator and see how that turns out.

KyNola

Robert, my jerky goes from the Bradley to the dehydrator but my dehydrator lives in the garage.  If it lived in the house Jan might not see the humor either.

Roget

I give my jerky 2 hours of smoke @ 160, then finish it in the dehydrator (in the house) @ 155.
My better half likes the smell of the jerky drying in the kitchen.
YCDBSOYA

pz

I fly by the seat of my pants in a way - I don't measure temperature or do anything else in a somewhat scientific way.  I look at the jerky and feel it - that is how I know it is done.

My favorite device for jerky is an old Big Chief smoker - crude machine, but it has done the job with jerky for nearly the last 20 years.

My method is very simple - put the meat in on the 5 racks (can usually do 10 pounds of raw meat).  Depending on the ambient temperature, check the jerky every 4-6 hours.  If in the "gray stage", it will be quite a few hours more.  If the meat is dark (almost black) then bend it and squeeze it - if it feels dry but still bends and squeezes okay, then it is done.  Into plastic bags to cool and rest.

I do marinade the meat typically overnight (or two) in a blend of soy, Yoshidas, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.  The marinade osmotically removes much of the moisture in the meat, and makes the smoking process shorter. Additionally, the hostile environment of the marinade (salt) will inhibit microbial growth.  I also like to liberally sprinkle black pepper onto the meat just before it goes into the cooker.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Lot's of great tips thanks everyone.