Bradley's Dry Cure rubs

Started by Dano, September 17, 2013, 12:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum here but been smoking with the Bradley digital 4-rack for over a year now.  All the while I've been using wet brines, for everything from a full beer can chicken to the smoked thighs and making my own dry rub for side ribs.  I was looking at the cold smoke adaptor and along with that purchase I was also looking at the Honey and Maple Bradley curing salts. 

So I guess my question is, has anyone had any luck using the Bradley brand?  I see a lot of seasoned(no pun intended) members refering to Morton's or their own mix of nitrates/trites but I haven't seen too many posts mentioning the actual Bradley dry cures in their recipes outside of the original bradleysmoker.com site.

My goal is to dry cure my own pork belly, maybe some turkey legs and full legs of ham.

Thanks in advance!

Dano
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

Habanero Smoker

Hi Dano;

Welcome to the forum!

There are several members that have tried them. I've haven't heard any complaints. Premix cures are a good way to start curing. You just have to follow the manufacturer's instructions, and there is nothing else to add.

If you haven't read any information on their cures, below is a link. Also download their curing recipe book;
Bradley Cures

I use to use TQ, but it can get expensive. Here is a less expensive substitute:
Basic Dry Cure

Here is a simple recipe to make belly bacon;
Maple Cured Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

lots of  people do  exactly  what you   do,,,  with  mortons  tq  or insta  cure # 1  wet and dry.. . go  for it .  its a lot  of fun and better then  store bought  hams and bacon

Saber 4

Whether you use pre-made cures or buy Cure #1 and follow some of the recipes here you will succeed and love it, you will start skipping the bacon aisle so just dive in and give it a whirl. Just be sure to measure your cure by weight and do each piece of belly separate by weight so you don't mess up the amount of cure them and keep us posted on your progress, we'll be rooting for you.

Dano

Thank you everyone for your input!  It's very much appreciated!

Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)