Slow getting to temperature

Started by chabrown, September 08, 2013, 09:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chabrown

I have a quick question:

I have the original 4-rack Bradley smoker that I love. However, there seems to be one problem.

Before smoking I bring the cabinet up to temperature (usually around 225). It usually comes up to temperature in a short time depending on ambient temperature.

I let the meat stand so that it is not cold before I put it in. Once I put the meat in, opening the cabinet door, the temperature of the smoker drops about 30 - 40 degrees. However, it could sometimes take an hour or longer to come back up to 225. That is with the burner element on.

Is that normal and, if not, what can I do to get the temperature back up more quickly.

Thanks,
Charles

beefmann

pretty  much, what comes into  play  is the  meat  load,,, and  moisture,,, the larger the  piece of  meat the  longer the recovery... a  box  temp  drop is normal

Saber 4

I'm assuming you have the vent wide open, I use boiling water in my Puck bowl to help retain heat, others have used foil covered bricks with success. I also replace my puck bowl with a disposable 9x13 cake pan with boiling water when the smoke is done.

pensrock

You can also add a couple bricks or something at the bottom of the smoker so they will get hot when you preheat. That way they will stay hot when the door is opened and help with the recovery. I also preheat higher than I plan to smoke/cook at to help with the recovery. I would let it preheat as high as it will get then add the food and watch it as it recovers, once it get with 10-20 degrees from where you want to cook then lower the set point to that temp.

jjmoney

The Bradley is an underpowered oven with a smoke attachment. If you want better recovery times, there are some coping mechanisms such as preheating rocks, boiling water in the bowl etc, but probably the biggest bang is the 900w element mod.

STLstyle

Quote from: jjmoney on September 10, 2013, 09:53:34 AM
The Bradley is an underpowered oven with a smoke attachment. If you want better recovery times, there are some coping mechanisms such as preheating rocks, boiling water in the bowl etc, but probably the biggest bang is the 900w element mod.

Or the dual element mod if you are interested.   My recovery times were similar pre-mod.  Dual elements reduce recovery and initial warm up significantly...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo