Question about Pork Roast Skin

Started by jb, September 27, 2013, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

I picked up a picnic roast tonight and I'm cooking it overnight. Having never done a picnic roast before, I decided I should cut off the thick skin that was on it. But I went ahead and put it on a rack and put it in the smoker above the roast. I thought it might make a nice treat for the dog! How long do you think I should leave it in the smoker?

beefmann

im  thinking  30  mins to an  hour,,, then im  iningking intoi a  dehydrator to  dry it  out,,, not  sure if a smoked pork  skin  would be  good....  im thinking  someting  like the dried  pig  ears

Saber 4

Quote from: beefmann on September 27, 2013, 08:23:43 PM
im  thinking  30  mins to an  hour,,, then im  iningking intoi a  dehydrator to  dry it  out,,, not  sure if a smoked pork  skin  would be  good....  im thinking  someting  like the dried  pig  ears

That sounds like a good plan to me.

Habanero Smoker

I have done what you did a few times with the skin. I make sure I scrape all the fat off for my lard, and placed it on the top shelf for almost the entire cook, until it is dried out. If you leave it in this long it becomes as tough as leather. I then use kitchen shears to cut it into either strips or sections and use them to flavor stews, soups casseroles etc. Discard the skin before serving. Ka Huna has a method for making crackling out of it.

Also after removing the skin, you should also remove most of the fat. Just leave 1/8 - 1/4-inch of fat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jb