Yuck, what have I done???

Started by Bertwright, September 26, 2013, 03:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertwright

I smoked on the Bradley probably 3 weeks ago. Must have had too much fun as I forgot to take out water pan and grates. I go to put on 2 butts tonight and not only small flies but little worms or maggots all over the drip pan and mold on the grates.... Sorry if I caused some to not want to eat tonite!!! Do I throw the thing away and get new one? Not sure if I can overcome the view ever again!!!!

Tiny Tim

Just a good cleaning will make it safe to use...if you want to make sure everything is dead before cleaning, just fire it up for a little while.  Surprising what an hour or 2 of 200+ degrees can take care of.  Can't help you to cleanse your memory from that though...good luck.

tskeeter

Tim's right, when I worked for a company that did pest control, a few hours above 180F was a pretty effective way of killing insects.  The only problem is that it will also cook them on to the racks, tray, and bowls.

Me, I'd take the pieces out to an unused corner of the yard and hose them off good.  Then run them through the dish washer to clean and sanitize them.  (This is basically the same way I do my routine clean up.  Soak parts that have cooked on debris.  Once the cooked on gunk has softened, brush it off.  Then into the dish washer for sanitizing.)  All of the parts you are talking about are stainless steel or chrome plated, so they don't rust and they tend to clean reasonably easily.

Once you've got everything pulled out of the smoker, you might want to consider wiping down the inside of the cabinet with some water and bleach to clean up any mold that might have started to form on the walls.  And then wipe down a second time with clear water to clean up any bleach residue. 

beefmann

agrees  with Tim, A Good soaking in  hot water with good soap... and a lil  bit  of elbow grease.. to  be  sure wash it   twice by   hand,.. and  once  in the  dishwasher

Quarlow

Totally agree with the boys here. The only thing in the world that grosses me out is leeches. A good scrub and wipe down with bleach and a couple of hours of the antiseptic propertys of smoke, Robs your fathers brother.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Saber 4

Agrees with all of the above, after you get the inside of the cabinet clean and wiped down, fire that bad boy up at 250 for an hour or so that ought to finish drying it out and make double sure everything is dead and gone mold wise.

pondee

Should the cabinet be re-seasoned after the scrubbing down?  Or is this unnecessary?

NePaSmoKer

Next time after your smoke just throw the racks, v-tray, water bowl in the dishwasher. Gently wipe the inside with a ball of aluminum foil and use a small broom or vac at the bottom. No need to re season

Saber 4

I would re-season at the stage I suggested running it for an hour or two if it was me

smoke em if you got em

Quote from: Bertwright on September 26, 2013, 03:53:10 PM
I smoked on the Bradley probably 3 weeks ago. Must have had too much fun as I forgot to take out water pan and grates. I go to put on 2 butts tonight and not only small flies but little worms or maggots all over the drip pan and mold on the grates.... Sorry if I caused some to not want to eat tonite!!! Do I throw the thing away and get new one? Not sure if I can overcome the view ever again!!!!
This is one time I'm glad you DIDN'T post pics.  ;)  I agree with the other guys. Give it a real good wipe down and fire it up at 250 for at least an hour.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

pokermeister

As far as wiping the memory, I recently saw a neuralizer on ebay- you might check into this  ::)
Life is short, eat the dessert first!