Double Stuff Smoked Chex Mix

Started by Saber 4, September 30, 2013, 06:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Here is the recipe for the double seasoned modified homemade Chex mix that NePas and KyNola got to enjoy in Paducah.

Double Stuff Smoked Chex Mix

This recipe is based on the original Chex mix recipe from a 1950's cereal box that I modified to get a boost in flavor. I will note which things are from the original and which I have added or doubled.

Ingredients:

1 Cup Butter or Margarine (half for original) Margarine is supposed to be original but I like the butter
4 Tbsp w/heavy splash between of Worcestershire Sauce (half for original)
2 ½ tsp Seasoned Salt, I used Lawry's (half for original)
½ tsp Garlic Salt (half for original)
3 Cups Wheat Chex Cereal (original)
3 Cups Rice Chex Cereal (original 2 Cups)
2 Cups Multi-Grain Cheerios (my addition, the Cheerios really grab the flavors) or 3 Cups Corn Chex (my addition)
3 Cups Peanuts (half for original)
3 Cups small Pretzel Rods (half for original)
1 Cup Pecan halves (my addition from my Aunt's recipe)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F, Melt butter in microwave or small pan. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, and garlic salt and mix well. Put cereal's, nuts, and pretzel rods in a large mixing bowl then pour butter mixture over and stir or mix with hands until all pieces are coated with butter mixture.

Place on a shallow baking pan with sides and bake for 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. I use foil in my baking pan so that I can pick up the foil and either bag the Chex Mix or move it to a cheese cloth covered Bradley Rack to smoke. Cool, if not smoking bag and enjoy, if smoking transfer to Bradley racks with Cheesecloth and smoke with your favorite wood (hickory, pecan and apple work well) for up to 3 hours, cool and bag.

You can eat as soon as it's done but like cheese it gets better after 1-2 weeks in a Ziploc bag.

ragweed

Thanks for posting.  Reminds me of the "good old days".  My folks used to dbl up on the butter and W-sauce too.

Saber 4

aces-n-eights

Saber, good looking recipe... i'm going to give this a try in the next few days. 

Question:  Your recipe says to bake for 40 minutes then move to the Bradley - could i go straight to the smoker after mixing the ingredients?  If so, should i heat/bake for 40 minutes before rolling smoke or do you think it's OK to roll smoke right away?

Thanks!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

NePaSmoKer

Robert brought these to Paducah BBQ on the river.

These  are awesome. Me and Larry was reaching for em.

KyNola

Not only were Rick and I reaching for 'em, somehow the bag "accidentally" went home with me. ::)

Gafala

My Chex-Mix was gone in 3 hours all 2 gal zip bag full.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Saber 4

Quote from: Gafala on November 28, 2013, 07:08:32 PM
My Chex-Mix was gone in 3 hours all 2 gal zip bag full.

That's good to hear, I sent my wife and our friends out on the trail ride this morning with bags of jerky and double stuff.

TedEbear

I posted this in another thread but we made a double batch of this recipe a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving.  I read that it tastes even better after a few weeks, which is why I smoked it then.  I sealed it in a couple of gallon bags and managed to keep my hands out of it until turkey day.

We had 12 people over for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and everyone who tried it thought it was great. 

Saber 4

So was there any left??????? Mine went fast on the trail rides over the weekend, although I managed to hide one bag to bring home for me.

TedEbear

After my wife put together a few small bags for some of her co-workers, plus one for the lady who created the original recipe, we still had part of a big gallon bag left.  We took some of that to the movies last night and ate it instead of buying their overpriced popcorn.  I kept having the feeling that people sitting around us were wondering where the smokey smell was coming from.   :)

Saber 4

Quote from: TedEbear on December 02, 2013, 04:49:35 AM
After my wife put together a few small bags for some of her co-workers, plus one for the lady who created the original recipe, we still had part of a big gallon bag left.  We took some of that to the movies last night and ate it instead of buying their overpriced popcorn.  I kept having the feeling that people sitting around us were wondering where the smokey smell was coming from.   :)

I'll have to tell my wife about taking it to the movies, she'll love that. I bet everyone was wishing they had some of your smoky goodness instead of their popcorn. I sure hope the original recipe creator likes it as much as we do.

tailfeathers

I hope their popcorn didn't getting too soggy from getting drooled into!!!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

seemore

Hey Saber by using this recipe, how many smoker racks will it take?
Thanks,
Seemore

Saber 4

Quote from: seemore on December 07, 2013, 05:03:47 PM
Hey Saber by using this recipe, how many smoker racks will it take?
Thanks,
Seemore

I usually split each batch up on 2 racks, put cheese cloth down then frogmat to hold in place and make it easier to transfer to Ziploc bag.

Robert