Chicken & Ribs together

Started by Thumpinbass, October 02, 2013, 01:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpinbass

Looking for some advice.  I am looking to do spareribs and chicken together.  I have rubs on both items already and in the fridge overnight.   The plan is to do the ribs @ 220-225 using the 3-2-1 method.  Here is where I get a little confused.  I know the chicken will not take 6 hours to smoke/cook.  Looking on the boards, it looks like what i should do is during the '2' phase of ribs wrapped in foil.  Apply smoke to the chicken for those 2 hours (1.5hr, maybe?) and then turn the smoke off and let them cook the remaining hour along with the ribs then.

Does this sound about right?  Any tweaks that you can suggest?  I will be starting the smoking of ribs in about 6-7 hours of this post so hopefully any advice can come quickly.  Otherwise, I will do what i just posted and see what happens.

Right now, it looks like I will be using hickory since my apple hasn't come in yet.

Thanks in advance.

Allen

Habanero Smoker

Hi Thumpinbass;

Welcome to the forum.

Your plan looks like a good one. If this is your first time smoking in a Bradley, you may want to use 1:40 hours of smoke for the chicken. I would place the chicken below the ribs, not for cross contamination reasons, but that is where the chicken will be exposed to the higher heat, and cook within the time frame you are estimating.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

STLstyle

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 02, 2013, 02:31:11 AM
Hi Thumpinbass;

Welcome to the forum.

Your plan looks like a good one. If this is your first time smoking in a Bradley, you may want to use 1:40 hours of smoke for the chicken. I would place the chicken below the ribs, not for cross contamination reasons, but that is where the chicken will be exposed to the higher heat, and cook within the time frame you are estimating.

Agree.  Plus I don't like chicken juice on my ribs. ;)

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Thumpinbass

Thank you guys for the quick replies.   It will be the first time using my smoker.  Not including using it to season it.

Thanks for the tip putting the chicken under the ribs.   Didnt really think about which way I was going to do it, but I do now.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Thumpinbass

So I'm 1.5 hrs into a 3 hr smoke.   Temp is set to 220, but my wireless probe is saying anywhere between 200 and 230 at any given time.   Any ideas what would be causing the fluctuations?   I have not opened the door at all.  It could be the placement of the temp probe which is my guess. 

Right now, the ribs are on the middle 2 racks and the probe is clipped on the top rack. 

Suggestions?  If not in time for this smoke, then for future reference?

Grouperman941

Quote from: Thumpinbass on October 02, 2013, 10:46:46 AM
So I'm 1.5 hrs into a 3 hr smoke.   Temp is set to 220, but my wireless probe is saying anywhere between 200 and 230 at any given time.   Any ideas what would be causing the fluctuations?   I have not opened the door at all.  It could be the placement of the temp probe which is my guess. 

Right now, the ribs are on the middle 2 racks and the probe is clipped on the top rack. 

Suggestions?  If not in time for this smoke, then for future reference?

That is normal. Just don't open the door until necessary.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

TedEbear

Quote from: Thumpinbass on October 02, 2013, 10:46:46 AMTemp is set to 220, but my wireless probe is saying anywhere between 200 and 230 at any given time.   Any ideas what would be causing the fluctuations?

Unless you use a PID controller to regulate the heating element(s) you'll see those wide temp swings.  Some say our house ovens fluctuate the same way, although I've never stuck my Maverick ET-732 probes in it to find out.

A PID controller will keep the temp swings to within 1-2 degrees if you want tighter temp control. The cost for one is anywhere from $45 to $190.

Thumpinbass

Thanks guys.   I may look into a PID later down the road but being a newbie, I'll stick with what I got right now. 

I haven't opened the door at all but will be in about 30 minutes for phase 2.  I plan on spraying them down with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix when I put them in the foil. 

Grouperman941

Quote from: Thumpinbass on October 02, 2013, 11:37:30 AM
Thanks guys.   I may look into a PID later down the road but being a newbie, I'll stick with what I got right now. 

I haven't opened the door at all but will be in about 30 minutes for phase 2.  I plan on spraying them down with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix when I put them in the foil. 

I smoked a ton of food before buying a PID. It is not necessary for most cooks.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Thumpinbass

That's probably what I will do.   Between the new smoker, biscuits, wireless temp probes, cover, injector, etc.   I'm out of cash now.   

Except for the food of course.   :-)

tskeeter

Thump, here's a technique suggestion for when you do large chunks of meat in the future.  Put a foil wrapped brick or two in your smoker before you start your preheat.  The idea is the brick acts as a heat sink, collecting heat while you are preheating the smoker, and releasing the heat to the cool meat when you put it into the smoker.  Several forum members keep a "smoking brick" tucked along the right side of their puck bowl all the time.  The additional hot thermal mass helps the smoker with heat recovery after you have opened the door to check your smoke or rotate racks, and the like.

For a smoke I did on a cold, breezy fall day, I took the "smoking brick" concept farther than normal.  I heated four bricks to 400F in the oven and transferred the bricks to the smoker when I put the  12# turkey breast in.  Two bricks on the rack below the turkey, two bricks on the rack above.  Worked really well for me. 

Thumpinbass

Quote from: tskeeter on October 02, 2013, 12:55:22 PM
Thump, here's a technique suggestion for when you do large chunks of meat in the future.  Put a foil wrapped brick or two in your smoker before you start your preheat.  The idea is the brick acts as a heat sink, collecting heat while you are preheating the smoker, and releasing the heat to the cool meat when you put it into the smoker.  Several forum members keep a "smoking brick" tucked along the right side of their puck bowl all the time.  The additional hot thermal mass helps the smoker with heat recovery after you have opened the door to check your smoke or rotate racks, and the like.

For a smoke I did on a cold, breezy fall day, I took the "smoking brick" concept farther than normal.  I heated four bricks to 400F in the oven and transferred the bricks to the smoker when I put the  12# turkey breast in.  Two bricks on the rack below the turkey, two bricks on the rack above.  Worked really well for me.

Thanks for the tip.  I have read somewhere regarding the brick idea.   This time around,  I didn't do it but do like the idea.  My ribs and chicken should be coming off in about 10 minutes.  I can't wait. 

Thumpinbass

Ok.   I'm going to try and post a picture of the finished product. 

I'm not sure what the size of the image is going to be coming from my phone.   My apologies in advance if its too big.   

Thumpinbass

Fall off the bone ribs. 

Not sure about the sauce I used, but overall, I am pleased with my first smoke. 

Saber 4

Looks like you had a successful smoke and meal. Along with the heated bricks you can also use hot or boiling water in the puck bowl during the smoke and then replace the bowl with a 9x13 disposable cake pan with boiling water to help with heat retention.