• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need a Sweet Lebanon Bolgna Recipe

Started by doz759, October 02, 2013, 06:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doz759

Seen a post on here for a recipe using spicy stick mix but it didn't have any measurements for the other ingredients. Was wondering if anyone had a easy recipe. Didn't see one in the recipe section. Thanks!!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

The Poli recipe is the one i use. You really dont need beef middles for casing, fibrous work just as well.

doz759

Someone had a recipe that used spicy stick mix and they didn't let the mix ferment.

devo

Quote from: GusRobin on October 02, 2013, 07:21:49 PM
try this link
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bologna-Lebanon-sweet.pdf

I made it from that recipe and found it to sweet and most of my friends found it to sweet but we did not grow up with it so it just might be what your used to. For me I have to kill the sweet taste by adding lots of mustard. Meat should not taste sweet is all I can say.

doz759

Thans Devo, I love the stuff but i used to eat alot of that growing up.  Blood sausage,head cheese and all the other good stuff that is bad for us now. Wish I would have paid more atention to my grandparents when they made it. If i use ECA do I just replace the F-RM-52 with ECA? And it sounds like a good starting point is 3oz in 25 pounds.

devo

I don't know enough to recommend replacing Encapsulated Citric Acid for the culture. I do know the culture is added to get your PH down in a hurry to a safe level. Since that recipe calls for cure #1 I really don't think you want to start replacing anything. Just my thoughts but I'm sure others with more experience might have a different opinion. 

CLAREGO

i tried the snack mix it works but nothing near what i can remember what lebanon bologna taste like at least the commercial stuff. But it was a hit regardless i would try the eca follow the directions on the package if you decide to go that way
o btw
me from Lepun
i live a half mile from the plant
clarence

CLAREGO

Hi Folks Here is a relatively easy way to make some homemade Lebanon Bologna.
Here goes
25 lbs of chuck or beef neck (whatevers cheapest)
1 - 18.5 oz bag of Leggs #116 snack stick seasoning http://www.columbiaspice.com/116snackstick.html
1 - 3oz bag of LEM citric Acid http://www.lemproducts.com/category/190
1 - 8oz or 1/2 bag of LEM soy protien (to keep shrinkage down) http://www.lemproducts.com/product/384/Soy_Protein
6 to 8 tbs of liquid smoke http://www.lemproducts.com/product/2...gs_cure_spices
6 to 8 Tbs of Brown sugar (For Sweet Bologna Add 10 to 16 Tbs, or sweeten to taste) test cook in microwave.

Cut and grind beef mix Legg's with water and Instacure#1 as per instructions then add liquid smoke and brown sugar. After final grind (if one) and right before stuffing, mix the 3oz bag of citric acid into meat. Do Not Grind Citric Acid Into Meat!!!!. Stuff into large casing and heavy smoke with hickory with low heat slowly bringing up to finishing heat (about 150-160 degs internal) Smoke for about 12 to 16 hours. The longer the smoke the better.
Give the bologna a cold water bath.
Let sit in fridge overnight, vacupack freeze eat and enjoy at leisure.
Dennis

doz759

Thanks CLAREGO I'm going to give that one a try. ECA ordered.

NePaSmoKer

ECA Info

ENCAPSULATED CITRIC ACID: Use encapsulated citric acid when making summer sausage or snack sticks and that distinctive "tang", associated with reduce pH, is desired but the lengthy fermentation cycle is not. When used correctly, it is almost impossible to tell if the sausage was manufactured by fermentation or by the use of this product. There is no need to worry about processing under special conditions. You just add the citric acid to the meat at end of the mixing process (making sure that you do not grind meat again), and then blend into the meat by hand or by mixer. If using a meat mixer, mix only until the encapsulated citric acid is blended into the meat mix, usually about one minute is sufficient. Longer mixing can cause the capsules to rupture resulting in the premature release of the citric acid.

Encapsulated citric acid is citric acid, a naturally occurring acid, that has been encapsulated (coated) with maltodexrine, a hydrogenated vegetable oil, which will melt at 135 degrees F. releasing the citric acid into the meat product. This prevents the citric acid from releasing and prematurely lowering the ph of your sausage meat mix. If the meat's ph drops before the protein sets at 105-115 degrees you will get a negative effect on the texture of your finished sausage. It won't bind as well and the texture will be crumbly.
Encapsulated citric acid should be added and mixed in after the grinding is complete as not to rupture the capsules. Since the encapsulation prevents release into the meat until the meat's internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F. a ruptured or damaged capsule will release the citric acid prematurely causing the undesired affects listed above.
Once the capsule is melted releasing the citric acid into the product decrease in pH is achieved resulting in the distinctive "tang" or sour taste associated with reduced pH products.
Suggested usage for this purpose is 3 oz. for 25 lb. of meat
Also use to preserve color of fresh sausage during storage. Use 1/2 oz. to 1 oz. per 100 lb. of meat for this purpose.

NOTE: Too much Citric Acid will cause the meat to turn white.

Saber 4

Thanks for posting this Rick, I was getting ready to ask you about amounts per pound after our conversation in Paducah, I copied and saved to my sausage file.

iceman

Habanero Smoker

There is a list or many sausage ingredients, with descriptions and usage on the recipe site.

Sausage Ingredient List

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

ITS good i got peeps wanting to buy it  :o