Trying my hand at Dehydrating bread starter

Started by devo, October 03, 2013, 03:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Started this around 9AM this morning. Had some frozen bread starter, fed it and got it going. This time it took a few days to get some good action. (Bubbles)
So with the fed bread starter I laid out the parchment paper just like Sonny did. Spread my starter as thin as I could. Set the smoker with the pid running @ 90°F.
Just check on it and you can see it wanted to grow some more. The bubbles on the bottom tray closest to the heat started to grow  ;D

A little out of focus but you can still see it bubbling

Saber 4

devo

Was hoping to get some direction from Sonny but I guess he is off doing his thing so here is what I found out. You need to let this dry for a good day and half. Sonny has a fan on top of his 6 rack to keep air moving so maybe his times are better than mine. Brought it in this morning and broke it up into small pieces. The sheets that came off the parchment paper where very strong. Once in the food processor they got chopped to little pieces about 1/4 to 1/8 inch. I than used my spice grinder to make a coarse powder. I kept looking over my shoulders for the cops as I felt I was doing something illegal  ;D

Four vac bags of 1/2 cup starter. Think I can call it a success:

Saber 4

Looks like a neat project, now all you need to do is wait a while, bring it back to life and make some awesome bread. :)