New to Bradley (almost): need some starter help

Started by TNT69, October 08, 2013, 02:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNT69

I've been using a "little chief" smoker for a few years to make an occasional load of beef jerky.  I'm pretty happy with the jerky when it comes out but it takes about 13 hrs of babysitting to get the job done.  Looking for something a little more automated.

I'm looking to get more into smoking (ham, turkey, jerky, maybe sausage, cheese, nuts, etc.) and have been looking into many options and leaning heavily toward the Original Bradley smoker but I have a few lingering questions before I pull the trigger on the purchase.

After doing a lot of search on this website, I think I have made the following choices but am interested in any feedback.
Original vs. Digital: I am leaning toward the original because I think I am going to get a PID anyway for the consistent temps.  Cabela's is running a sale for OBS for $299 right now.

My first question is which PID?  I've read the page on here about building your own in a project box (or in the smoke house) but I'm curious if it has all the functionality of the $185 dual probe design that Auber makes (plug and play version).  I like the idea of controlling the smoke on and off, controlling the heat by time or internal meat temp so a dual probe is the way to go.

I am mechanically inclined and like to tinker with things but I need to know that the 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (Relay Output) also by Auber can do all the things of its more expensive cousin.  The lazy part of me wants to just buy it and not have to deal with the heatsink/no heatsink, fuse/ no fuse, etc., etc. of building my own.

I am also a little overwhemed with how to program the one not specifically laid out for a Bradley Smoker (the manual on the website is not very clear).  If there is a good "manual" for how to program and explain how to setup do it yourself PID, I haven't been able to find it on here (only found the how to build one page).  I have found the very good quick start manual that is available for the plug and play one.

How easy is the $45 do it yourself one to use?  Trying to decide if the ease of the learning curve of the plug and play one is worth the nearly 4X price (assuming it can do all the same things, dual probe, control smoke and by time)

Saber 4

I have the digital and have been happy with it for all things and it even did a good job on my first smoked sausage today, however, that being said I will probably start budgeting for an Auber plug in for the better temp control. I haven't seen a need for the dual element yet, but I also don't do more than one brisket or butt at a time now.

Welcome to the Forum and I'll leave your questions for those with all the auber experience and there are a bunch of them here so you should have lot's of info within the next couple of days as they check in.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  I have an "original" OBS, five years now.  I bought the single probe Auber model WS-1200CPH.  Didn't need a duel probe as I already had a Bradley temp probe for the meat.  Very easy to set up.  Comes with instructions specifically for a Bradley.  Controls the temp within a couple degrees.  As Saber said the true experts will be here shortly.

pz

Welcome, TNT69; your story is much like mine - except I started on the Big Chief.  ;D

I used that machine for a couple of decades or so, making countless 5-rack loads of jerky which friends and family still pester me to make.  A few years ago my wife says she purchased an OBS for me (so long ago I can't remember), and it has been in the box until this last summer.  Finally set it up and started with salmon, which turned out very good for my tastes.  Then I tried cold smoking cheese, and that did it for me - I'm sold.

I purchased the Auber dual because I wanted to have one probe in the product and the other in the cooker controlling the temperature and smoke.  In retrospect, I wish I had purchased the single probe because I recently purchased the ThermoWorks BBQ Pro kit, which I use with a recently purchased SRG as well as a Trager Lil'Tex - could have used the Auber single with the ThermoWorks meat probe to save a little money.  I'm sold on the idea that knowing the temperature of the food will help keep novice smokers from ruining food  ;D

Did a packer brisket on the Traeger this past weekend, and it turned out great - acceptable bark and nice ring, but butter tender - used the flat for sandwiches, and used the tip for burnt ends (took some to work and heated in my office, driving my colleagues nuts  ;D)

I'm glad that I have the OBS, and enjoy using the Auber to control the smoke generator and tower, but the bottom line is that you should probably use the smoker for a while, decide if you want other cookers, and then choose your controllers.  This outdoor cooking can become an addiction - a month ago I'd never heard of an SRG, and after a successful pork butt, now I'm planning a turkey for Thanksgiving.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Ketch22

TedEbear

Quote from: TNT69 on October 08, 2013, 02:53:52 PM
How easy is the $45 do it yourself one to use?  Trying to decide if the ease of the learning curve of the plug and play one is worth the nearly 4X price (assuming it can do all the same things, dual probe, control smoke and by time)

I have the single probe $45 PID controller.  It will only control the chamber temp and not the smoke generator.  It maintains that temp quite well, within 1-2 degrees of the setpoint.  I also programmed it to turn on an air circulation fan when the chamber temp reaches 100*F, although I have not yet installed a fan. It uses one of the two high temp alarm outputs to do that. 

I have the SSR version and a heatsink.  I liked the idea of installing it in the SG where everything is nice and neat and there aren't a bunch wires running all over the place.

beefmann

welcome aboard,

as for building a  pid for your  soaker, yes you can,, its  not  that  hard and it takes  time to build /  install and program,  if you  want to control the heat  in  the box / tower  along  with controlling the duration of the smoke, you   need to understand a   few things  first,

1) controlling heat is  done through a  Pid, basically a temperature controller.

as for controlling the amount of  smoke there is two ways
1) each  puck burns 20 to 30 mins each and if you want 3 hours of  smoke you   would  load  11 pucks ( 9 would burn and 2 would  be  used to push the  others onto the burner )
2) install a  timer  like a   PID device onto the smoke generator and program it for a duration of time  plus  30  minutes for warm up... example  3 hour of  smoke plus 30   minute warm up is 3 hr 30 minute on a  countdown  timer

hope this  helps

TNT69

Well, thanks for the input.  I ended up buying the Orginal Smoker yesterday, so I'm excited to get it out, break it in and smoke...............something.  So many choices on what to make.

I'll decide later on which control setup to use.