Crockpot Venison Stew

Started by Dano, October 09, 2013, 12:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this section and love the recipies in development idea!

This one was supposed to be for venison steaks however after experimenting with a venison neck roast when I pulled the neck bone out of the slow cooker there was zero meat attached!  It was the best venison stew I've ever had and the secret is in the neck bone and marinade prior to cooking.  I'll share both below.

Recipe: Marinade for venison roast

1/3 cup red wine
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp brown sugar
pinch of allspice
2 cloves garlic, minced or fine chopped
1/2 onion, fine chopped
1 tbsp worcestershire
1 tbsp soy sauce( can opt for low sodium but original tastes better to me  ;) )
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp yellow mustard
Can use for 4 venison steaks or a neck roast that will fit in your pot.

I marinaded the roast for 2 days in a ziplock bag, turning once a day and overhauling/rubbing to keep the mixture.

Instructions for Crockpot Cooking

2 onions, chopped
1 lb Carrots, chopped (I think 3-4 large ones from memory)
2 cloves garlic, fine chop or minced
1 stalk celery (can do 2 if you like more celery)
1/2 pkg onion soup mix (do not use a full package here, just a half'er)
Sea salt & pepper to taste
2 cups beef broth (we get the 900mL boxed Knorr broth here, I wouldn't use the solid oxo cubes as they're too salty)
2 tbsp Bistro brown gravy thickener

Put onion, celery and carrots in bottom of crockpot
Put moose or venison roast on top
Add broth and cook on high for the first 2 hours, then low for 4 hours OR cook low for 8 hours
An hour before you eat, draw 2-3 cups of broth from the crockpot and whisk in the Bistro brown gravy powder to thicken.  Whisk well and add back in the crockpot.  Stir to mix in and let it sit for the hour.  If you have a fairly full crock then pull some of the solids out before adding gravy to make mixing easier.

I haven't tried putting dumplings in but I don't see why it won't work if you want a little extra bread for your stew.  :)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

ragweed

Sounds great!  I've bookmarked it.  We've been staying away from the necks because it's so hard to get the meat off the bones and the last roast we tried didn't taste very good.  It was from an old buck though.  Your recipe sounds like a solution to both our problems.  Thanks for posting.

beefmann

sounds great,,, cant wait to hear  how it comes out

Saber 4

May have to try this with some wild hog when it cools down enough to start dressing them out.

Dano

Glad you guys are going to try it!  Play around with the salt content and thickener amounts as it took be a bit to get it to my liking, which is on the saltier side.  Definitely the only way I'll cook a venison neck from here on in though!
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)