Smoker not getting past 140*

Started by flo, October 13, 2013, 05:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

Hi,

I just bought a new Bradley smoker (non digital) and have had a few attempts at jerky.  My issue with the smoker is once the meat is in the smoker is not getting past 140*.  I had the jerky in for 3 hours on full without the smoker getting past 140*.  Both the bisquette burner and element were on.  The heating element looked like it was working fine (it was red) and it was plugged in directly without any wind.  I tried opening the damper full which i believe is what it is supposed to be with jerky as well as closing it to try and get the heat up with no effect. Any ideas?   I wanted to try smoking some chicken and salmon but am concerned with the temperature control.

Thanks,

Graham

Tenpoint5

How many pounds of meat did you have in the smoker? A large batch of 10-15 pounds is going to be a rather large heat sink and is going to take a while. Although 140-155 sounds like the right temps to be at for drying jerky rather than cooking meat. I don't make jerky in my Bradley, so I will end here. So as not to give you the wrong information on how it reacts to jerky
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

I usually do 5 lb batches in my 6 rack.   Have a PID and have no problem get it up to the desired temp, usually 170.   And it will go high if I want but I'm trying to dry the meat, not cook it.
Is your vent wide open?   If not, then you're retaining moisture in the cabinet which will keep the temp down.

Saber 4

The only other question I can think to ask, is if your Bradley is on a low usage circuit or is it on a circuit with a bunch of other appliances or are you using a smaller extension cord. The Bradley needs to be getting as much juice as it can get from a circuit to work to it's best capabilities, your element can be on and red but still not getting as hot as it could.

devo

How are you measuring the temp? The units thermometer? If so try portable one to see if your getting the same readings.

flo

Thanks,

I have the vent wide open and the smoker is directly plugged into it's own circuit.  I had four trays filled with jerky so a lot of meat.  My concern is that within 3 hrs should the temperature not get past 150* without too much difficulty? What kind of probe do you use to check the temperature inside with the door closed and how do you install it?

Thanks again,

Graham

devo

Any kind of cheap digital will do but a lot of people on here use this one. All you have to do is run the cable through the door. It won't let out any smoke and you can monitor the inside temp and also the IT of what your cooking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-NEW-Maverick-Remote-Smoker-Dual-2-Probe-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-ET-73-/261263935683

TedEbear

That ET-73 has a very limited range, at least that was my experience with it.  Their newer Maverick ET-732 is greatly improved.  I can walk around anywhere in my house, or even a few doors down the street and it won't lose the signal.

Grouperman941

Run it empty and see if it heats up properly. If so, it was the load.

Was the meat right out of the fridge? A lot of very cold meat will make it nearly impossible for the Bradley to recover temp.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Saber 4

I drop my probes down through the open vent then into the meat or left hanging where I want the reading from

flo

Thanks for your help! I am ordering a digital thermometer.  The meat was directly out of the fridge so i guess next time let it warm close to room temperature and then put in the smoker?

Thanks again.